Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gender confusion
No, not what you might have expected. I have received a SCAM mail signed by, believe it or not, Ms. Grace Kofi Annan (ESQ)!!!

Just goes to prove that some scammers are really dumb.

LOL I was wondering if you had second thoughts :biggrin:

What does ESQ mean?

am i being really really stupid for not understanding this ?

Nick9 Wrote:LOL I was wondering if you had second thoughts :biggrin:

What does ESQ mean?

esquire
~~~~

Just to explain it a little further, "Esquire" is a now rarely used English title. It derives from a "squire" who was an attendant to a knight. It is used in this sense, exclusively for males.

LONDONER Wrote:Just to explain it a little further, "Esquire" is a now rarely used English title. It derives from a "squire" who was an attendant to a knight. It is used in this sense, exclusively for males.

it's also the suffix used by people who practice law .
in that sense , it can be used by men and women .

and i'm sure it's used in other gender neutral senses , too . not just meaning "squire".

LONDONER Wrote:No, not what you might have expected. I have received a SCAM mail signed by, believe it or not, Ms. Grace Kofi Annan (ESQ)!!!

Just goes to prove that some scammers are really dumb.

Not perhaps as dumb as you think. They are on the look out for marks who are dumb. The kind of people who wouldn't pick up on that particular solecism are perhaps more likely to be the kind of people who might not balk at handing over their bank account details, or whatever.

Also in the USA lawyers use the esq. suffix whether they are male or female.

Damn! Must learn to type faster.

cardiganwearer Wrote:Not perhaps as dumb as you think. They are on the look out for marks who are dumb. The kind of people who wouldn't pick up on that particular solecism are perhaps more likely to be the kind of people who might not balk at handing over their bank account details, or whatever.

Also in the USA lawyers use the esq. suffix whether they are male or female.

Yes, I know that in the USA the term is used by those practising the law but why Americans use a now almost defunct English term is a bit of a mystery to me.

LONDONER Wrote:Yes, I know that in the USA the term is used by those practising the law but why Americans use a now almost defunct English term is a bit of a mystery to me.

why people do many things is a mystery to me . that doesn't mean those things are dumb or wrong.

words that sound and are spelled the same can have different meanings and usages .

According to the scammer I could be billionaire... LOL ...