Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genealogy Through DNA Testing
[Image: DNA-double-helix-MTHFR-gene-folate-folic-acid.jpg]

Just ordered a DNA test kit through the largest of the private online genealogy research companies--rhymes with 'mancestry*daught*shlaum'--and I'm pretty excited about it. I've never done anything like this; hoping for some real surprises.

Got any experience with any such such?

My dad had it done through Ancestry too. It was pretty intresting. We already had a good idea about our family history, but it was nice to have it confirmed.

Let us know how it goes and what you discover!

~Beaux

Yes several members of my family have done this. We found out my great-grandmother had one Jewish ancestor, which we didn't know. One of my siblings is adopted and also did this out of curiosity.

Gawd this is brilliant. I fuckin love it that people can just nonchalantly order DNA test kits over there...I want one!!!!

What exactly is it? Does it have patterns of known haplotypes or something? Does it test Y-chromosome AND mitochondrial DNA?...TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

I don't think I'd ever want to find out about my genealogy... Dad once told me I might be related to a Coypu (large swamp beaver)....

I figure the less I know, the better..............
We Have Elvis !!

I would be interested in getting a DNA test. I know what countries my family came from before living in the USA, but if you go much further back than that it gets a little muddy. My mom says her great grandmother was Chinese. And my dad's paternal line is sort of mysterious. It would be interesting to see at least.

Insertnamehere Wrote:Gawd this is brilliant. I fuckin love it that people can just nonchalantly order DNA test kits over there...I want one!!!!

What exactly is it? Does it have patterns of known haplotypes or something? Does it test Y-chromosome AND mitochondrial DNA?...TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME
The DNA testing kits are linked to genealogy of Ancestry. .
The results given are percentage based...

Example
5% Asian
60% Caucasian
35% African. .
Sometimes they can map the markers to specific bloodlines. .

It's pretty nifty ..
(Seen it on TV)

Anocxu Wrote:The DNA testing kits are linked to genealogy of Ancestry. .
The results given are percentage based...

Example
5% Asian
60% Caucasian
35% African. .
Sometimes they can map the markers to specific bloodlines. .

It's pretty nifty ..
(Seen it on TV)

So it has haplotype patterns...I suppose polymorphisms are taken into account too.

pretty damn neat!
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:So it has haplotype patterns...I suppose polymorphisms are taken into account too.

pretty damn neat!
Bingo..!!

Let me find you the link to what I watched..

Momentito porfavor..

http://www.pbs.org/weta/finding-your-roots/

FyI ..No scientific details about the tests on the show
Just ..
I guess I should shut it and let you watch if want..
Lol