Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genealogy Through DNA Testing
Insertnamehere Wrote:Gawd this is brilliant. I fuckin love it that people can just nonchalantly order DNA test kits over there...I want one!!!!

What exactly is it? Does it have patterns of known haplotypes or something? Does it test Y-chromosome AND mitochondrial DNA?...TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME

In our case you do a spit swap and mail it off to a university somewhere, and they send you a report.

I might try this too. I've spent many long hours researching my family tree, so I know at least as far back as the mid 1700's I'm firmly rooted to the UK home kingdoms, but it would be interesting to see if there are any surprises from further back. The further back you go the murkier the information gets.
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>

Insertnamehere Wrote:Gawd this is brilliant. I fuckin love it that people can just nonchalantly order DNA test kits over there...I want one!!!!

What exactly is it? Does it have patterns of known haplotypes or something? Does it test Y-chromosome AND mitochondrial DNA?...TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME

The AncestryDNA test uses microarray-based autosomal DNA testing, which surveys a person’s entire genome at over 700,000 locations, all with a simple saliva sample. Additionally, the new online interface integrates state-of-the art tools for you to utilize your DNA results for family history research.

Autosomal DNA testing includes the other 22 pairs of chromosomes that aren’t the X or Y chromosome that determine your gender. Autosomal testing allows you to find family across all lines in your family tree. That means both men and women can take the test, and the results are not limited to just the direct maternal or paternal lines.

http://dna.ancestry.com/legal/faq#about-3

Smile

Bookworm Wrote:I might try this too. I've spent many long hours researching my family tree, so I know at least as far back as the mid 1700's I'm firmly rooted to the UK home kingdoms, but it would be interesting to see if there are any surprises from further back. The further back you go the murkier the information gets.

That's impressive. I think testing might really enhance your findings. I found this helpful:

http://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog/201...-dna-buck/

Insertnamehere Wrote:So it has haplotype patterns...I suppose polymorphisms are taken into account too.

Completely unrelated but smart guys are such a turn on. You can DNA your way to my heart.
Gossip is the Devil’s telephone; best just to hang up.

NativeSon Wrote:The AncestryDNA test uses microarray-based autosomal DNA testing, which surveys a person’s entire genome at over 700,000 locations, all with a simple saliva sample. Additionally, the new online interface integrates state-of-the art tools for you to utilize your DNA results for family history research.

Autosomal DNA testing includes the other 22 pairs of chromosomes that aren’t the X or Y chromosome that determine your gender. Autosomal testing allows you to find family across all lines in your family tree. That means both men and women can take the test, and the results are not limited to just the direct maternal or paternal lines.

http://dna.ancestry.com/legal/faq#about-3]

A microarray seems logical, if it's autosomal DNA, cause that's a loooooooooooooooooooooot of genes to be read there.

I am thoroughly amazed that specific probes and templates exist for 700.000 genes..I mean, that is mind blowing!

Also, holy f*ck that must be a gigantic database :eek:
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

human genomes ftw

I'm thinking about ordering a kit.. swab bing my cheeks...use the same swabs on a stray cat or a possum...then send it in..
Just to see what kind of results they would come up with

Anocxu Wrote:I'm thinking about ordering a kit.. swab bing my cheeks...use the same swabs on a stray cat or a possum...then send it in..
Just to see what kind of results they would come up with

You wouldn't be the first. I read an article about a guy who went to the trouble of paying and ordering the swab kit, only to have his family play a "joke" by contaminating the DNA. I will try and find a link for it; I read it about a year and a half ago.

~Beaux

Beaux Wrote:You wouldn't be the first. I read an article about a guy who went to the trouble of paying and ordering the swab kit, only to have his family play a "joke" by contaminating the DNA. I will try and find a link for it; I read it about a year and a half ago.

~Beaux
Lmao...
That's the kind of prank I love..

"Son.. I have some terrible news"..
"You are 1/16th chihuahua"