Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
German scientists make HIV breakthrough
[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/aidsribbon.jpg[/img2]In a remarkable discovery in the hunt for a cure for HIV, scientists in Germany may finally have found a way to remove HIV from infected cells, a study released today revealed.

According to Science magazine, researchers working on the deadly virus have engineered an enzyme that attacks the HIV virus and cuts it out of the infected cell.

Although the enzyme TRE is far from ready, it offers hope for the more than 40 million people around the world who are HIV+ "A customised enzyme that effectively excises integrated HIV-1 from infected cells in vitro might one day help to eradicate [the] virus from AIDS patients," Alan Engelman of Harvard Medical School affiliate Dana-Farber Cancer Institute wrote in an article accompanying the study, according to the AP.

Drugs are currently used to suppress the virus and can even take it to a level where it is undetectable, but have so far failed to completely eliminate the virus from the body.

What makes HIV so lethal is the way it inserts itself into the body's cells, therefore forcing those cells to produce new infection.

"Consequently the virus becomes inextricably linked to the host, making it virtually impossible to 'cure' AIDS patients of their HIV-1 infection," Mr Engelman explained.

According to researchers, the virus will be removed from the genome of infected cells by this new enzyme TRE, by recognising and then recombining the structure of the virus's DNA.

With the virus' ability to remain undetected for not only months but years by reverting to a resting state in infected cells, this could remove a major block allowing the enzyme to recognise HIV's DNA.

"The most important, and likely most difficult, among these is that the enzyme would need efficient and safe means of delivery and would have to be able to function without adverse side effects," wrote the study's lead author, Indrani Sarkar of the Max Planck Institute for Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics in Dresden.

Significant barriers still remain, before TRE could be used to cure patients, Sarkar concluded.

"Nevertheless, the results we present offer an early proof of principal for this type of approach, which we speculate might form a useful basis for the development of future HIV therapies."
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Lovely.. Once they find a cure for it, there will be hardly anyone using condoms. Their all going to think, "Well they have a cure, so why should I have to wear a condom?"

I'm not saying that finding a cure is a bad thing, I'm glad. That means there will be a lot of people that dont have to die because they made a mistake early in life or because someone raped them and gave it to them.

I'm just stating that more people wont give a rats butt who they sleep with.

Hmmm more people will become sex users?
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Anyone who thinks having a 'cure' for HIV/AIDS means protection is redundant deserves the herpes they may get.

Quote:they made a mistake early in life or because someone raped them

A hell of a lot of people are positive due to their parents/parent being so at the point of conception, and also some jerks don't tell their soon-to-be infected lovers that the virus is closer than it seems. (not meant to sound shirty)

lipstud