Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Go ahead. Admit ya done it
I'm so glad I missed this whole generation of mating rituals.

ShiftyNJ Wrote:Well, they must be. And the reason they're placing personals instead of just going out and meeting people is because they're SOOO good looking that everybody is too intimidated to speak to them.
Be it as it may, I've often found that beautiful people are not at all aware that they are beautiful (even if they've been told time and time again). Mostly they are so used to seeing themselves that they've grown bored with their own looks. They could go for someone equally beautiful or for someone whose "other" beauties shine through. I've met a few good looking people who really didn't have much confidence in themselves or in their looks. Being beautiful on the outside doesn't necessarily come with confidence inside.
Actually don't we consider, sometimes, that some people who aren't perfect beauties can be really attractive nonetheless despite their physical flaws? Let's take people like Liza Minnelli or Bette Midler (not classical beauties but definitely women who've got that IT quality) ... in French we call it avoir du CHIEN (weird, wonder where that expression comes from). Basically it means to have charm, or charisma. It's not a matter of plastic beauty. These people have that je-ne-sais-quoi, that little bit extra that makes them attractive.

Something Virge wrote made me remember that Fable from Jean de Lafontaine...
The famous crow and fox fable...
"
Le Corbeau et le Renard

Maître Corbeau, sur un arbre perché,
Tenait en son bec un fromage.
Maître Renard, par l'odeur alléché,
Lui tint à peu près ce langage :
"Hé ! bonjour, Monsieur du Corbeau.
Que vous êtes joli ! que vous me semblez beau !
Sans mentir, si votre ramage
Se rapporte à votre plumage,
Vous êtes le Phénix des hôtes de ces bois. "
A ces mots le Corbeau ne se sent pas de joie ;
Et pour montrer sa belle voix,
Il ouvre un large bec, laisse tomber sa proie.
Le Renard s'en saisit, et dit : "Mon bon Monsieur,
Apprenez que tout flatteur
Vit aux dépens de celui qui l'écoute :
Cette leçon vaut bien un fromage, sans doute. "

Le Corbeau, honteux et confus,
Jura, mais un peu tard, qu'on ne l'y prendrait plus.
"

The fox picks up the cheese that the crow was holding in his beak and dropped to crow, and says to him...
"My dear Sir, you must learn that every flatterer lives at the expense of s-he who listens to him / her. This lesson is well worth a cheese, don't you think? "

The message is clear, if you're going to be vain, you're likely to act in a stupid detrimental way to yourself. In the end, the Crow, rather ashamed and sorry for himself, swears but too late, that he won't be caught at being vain again.