Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going abroad as intern
Hello,
Well I don't know why I post that here, as there are people from everywhere here, I might have satisfying answers...and I don't find satisfying ones on the net.

Ok, so now I finish this year my engineering studies, and I'm thinking about doing my end of study internship abroad (6 monthes)...the problem is that I'm in a very research oriented field, so I might find interesting internships in University and very few of them are paid, I guess.
In France, interns must be paid, and in lots of countries, they might not pay interns...

I'm looking in Canada, in the US, in Australia and maybe in other countries in Europe. Do you think it's easy to find a paid internship there?

I'm sorry for this topic, I know my question is a bit "rough" but it's hard to find lot of information about it...

Thank you for your answers and your help.

Well, I think it will bring great opportunites for you and it could be a life-changing experience and help you toward your career path.

That's why I really want to do that Smile
But if I don't have income, I can't really afford it...

Well, is there anyway you can borrow money for the bank or get a loan or grant from somewhere to help pay for this?

Don't know...I would prefer to have a paid internship. Is it sometimes paid in Canada?

I have a paid summer internship in the engineering department for a company that spans the US, Canada, and Mexico.
I would guess your best bet is looking at large corporations for a paid internship. I know of some universities that make their students do co-op, and co-op is suppose to be more than an internship. I've seen co-op offerings from companies in my part of the world, and when I was touring each university I applied to, I saw several of them had a department dedicated to co-op with one of them making it part of their graduation requirements (for engineering). I asked each one about this, and they also said sometimes students get co-ops overseas, so I am assuming there are paid engineering co-ops in a lot of places.
The term "intern" for engineering in North America is confusing with countries licensing methods, and as I have said an "intern" is different than a "co-op."
Part of being a licensed Professional Engineer ( PE ) in the USA is getting a degree in an ABET accredited university, then getting an "Engineer in Training ( EIN )" license. In some states students can get this their senior year, and other states after they get at least a Bachelor's degree. It requires a standarized test and not everyone passes it. Then you become an "Engineer in Training." I have seen job postings for EIN's. This is how the term "intern" can get confusing because some people call EIN's interns, and in Canada "Engineer Intern" is usually preferred over "Engineer in Training." - yet the job for an EIN is definitely no paper filing intern position. Then after so many years of working under a PE, you take another test, and if you pass it you become a licensed PE. Some months ago in the summer when I was working as an intern I had to file and scour through countless law documents, where I noticed the term "Professional Engineer" is used as a legal term.

High five fro engineering! Smile I'm in mechatronics engineering. My school requires me to find an internship for every other 4 months, and I'm in UAE currently for an internship. There are many ways to find one. One easiest way is to just go visit the target company that you want to work with and send the employment people your resume and cover letter along with how long you can work for. If you want to go into research field, you can ask some of your faculty professors to appoint you to someone they may know that needs the extra hand in their research and see if you can do an exchange with that school. Another area is Triumf in Canada. Triumf is a really good research facility/company, so may like it there. You can also try to apply to Petroluem Institute in UAE through their website for research interns. DLR institute in Germany hires interns from all over the world of loads of different research areas. Japan has many different research facilities, but I'm not too sure how you can apply to them. My best guess for Japan is either you find a Japan internship website, or apply directly from their website. Anyways, all that's important is that you actually go to the respective websites of the institute that you want to work in, and send all your employment information to the employment people. You can also do exchange with University of Waterloo students, UW has one of the most awesome heat transfer and thermodynamics research labs in the world. You can contact Kyle Daun from University of Waterloo and see if you can get him to do an internship with him if you are interested in that area. Smile Good luck!

Ekwarph Wrote:Hello,
Well I don't know why I post that here, as there are people from everywhere here, I might have satisfying answers...and I don't find satisfying ones on the net.

Ok, so now I finish this year my engineering studies, and I'm thinking about doing my end of study internship abroad (6 monthes)...the problem is that I'm in a very research oriented field, so I might find interesting internships in University and very few of them are paid, I guess.
In France, interns must be paid, and in lots of countries, they might not pay interns...

I'm looking in Canada, in the US, in Australia and maybe in other countries in Europe. Do you think it's easy to find a paid internship there?

I'm sorry for this topic, I know my question is a bit "rough" but it's hard to find lot of information about it...

Thank you for your answers and your help.

In Canada and US, you can find internships that will definitely pay you really good. IF you end up in California for start up companies, you can get paid up to $23 per hour. Sometimes, the company also pays the flight ticket for you and may help you subsidize some of the residential fees. But, if you go outside of North America, places like Germany won't pay you as much since internship salaries aren't really considered as much in NA. Soochow University in China is always search for interns, but they only pay $500 CAD per month. It's going to be hard to earn anything from there. Google and Facebook always loves to hire interns all over from the world, and they pay from $30 to $50 CAD an hour. It's hard to get though, since there are many competitions. But, if it's research area, I definitely recommend DLR in Germany, they do many interesting researches over there. Smile

Ekwarph Wrote:Don't know...I would prefer to have a paid internship. Is it sometimes paid in Canada?

Thank you for your answers.
I'm in microelectronics for biomedical devices field. I'd love to develop prosthesis that are interfaced with brain. (I only saw a company in Australia, a little few others, but else it's university or "commercial" company).
I think it's quite hard to find a huge company in this field. That's why I think it's easier to find in an university or a start up. Or I have to convert myself in software.

It's a field with a great future but it seems to be bit too early now.

High Five! Me too! I'm interested in interacting robots with brain signals. I'm planning to do something with robots and brains fro my 4th year design project. So far, my ideas are muscle signal prosthetic to brain signal remote controlled robots, and maybe for soldier applications too. Here are some prosthetic companies out there.

http://www.ossur.com/?PageID=13462
http://www.dlr.de/rm/en/desktopdefault.a...read-8923/
http://www.shadowrobot.com/
https://www.thalmic.com/en/myo/
http://www.nakamura-brace.co.jp/product-e.htm

Hope you find a nice internship! Smile Ossur has some of the nicest leg prosthetics, and Shadowrobotics specializes in using pneumatic robotic hands.

Ekwarph Wrote:Thank you for your answers.
I'm in microelectronics for biomedical devices field. I'd love to develop prosthesis that are interfaced with brain. (I only saw a company in Australia, else it's university or "commercial" company).
I think it's quite hard to find a huge company in this field. That's why I think it's easier to find in an university or a start up. Or I have to convert myself in software.

It's a field with a great future but it seems to be bit too early now.