Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going through a tough time, I need some advice.
Hi to all my fellow forumers. It's really nice to be part of GS and I hope there will be many more posts to come[emoji4]

Im going through a very tough time at the moment and this post is probably going to be very long winded but please bear with me. I identify myself as being a gay man but I'm really struggling with the issue of self acceptance. My family accepts me and loves me for who I am but im really struggling with my sexuality. This has lead to severe depression and social anxiety for which im on a cocktail of medications, all of which don't seem to be working. I'm also seeing a psychiatrist and a phycologist at the moment who suggested that I reach out to the gay community which is why I'm here. My life, hopes and dreams have pretty much come to a standstill at the moment and a couple of months ago I was on the verge of suicide.

The question now is, how did you guys come to accept yourselves? By the way im 24 and live in a really conservative city with no gay facilities to speak of.

I can't wait to hear from you all

I came to the realization that, in the end, the only person I have to please is me. That's it.
Good luck!
~Beaux

Hello...
And welcome.

* Mostly everything in life is a product of choice.... including the way you handle your issues.

* Your sexuality will play a Big role in your life... but at the end of the day it will not define Who you are.

I understand you are from an area where gay population is "non existent "..but the answer to your issues really has very little to do with the gay community... It is really about you. [emoji1]

* Growing older you will learn
Frustration, Depression, love and hate are all choices.

*There are positive alternatives to everything negative...

Whenever you feel frustrated. .
Reach out... show some love..
(Especially to your family)

What about your friends?
How about making new ones?
(Not just online)

When was the last time you took a trip outside your state?
^^^
I'm just mentioning ideas or alternatives to discontent.

Answer this honestly. ..
Do you give yourself a hard time?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay...
It is NOT a flaw, or handicap or a death sentence.

So at this time you are caught in a rock and a hard place.. and life will do that very often.... but I promise you... with a little work , love, truth and positivity. ..

It gets better... [emoji3]

One of the hard parts for me was getting over societies "programming" that I needed to get married, buy a house with a garage, have 2-3 kids, a cat, and a dog to be an outstanding citizen of any worth.

The second hard part for me was (and sometimes still is), if you're in a small conservative town to NOT think you're the ONLY person on the planet going through what you're going through. You're NOT alone.

A third hard aspect is, letting go of your "pretend" straight life. Let go of the false straight friends whom you cannot be yourself around, and sometimes (regrettably) even family whom might not accept you. You owe it to yourself to be happy - and to NOT be unhappy for the sake of others whom you owe very little to. Go out there and make gay friends who you can relate to. Make your own family if you have to. Don't pretend to be something you're not for people whom are too narrow minded to appreciate you for the greatness you are.

Then came dating... I spent far too many of my first years trying to be "Mr. Right"/"Mr. Perfect". I was impatient, insecure, and hoping for a Prince to come save me that was way out of my league and unrealistic expectations. Be a good guy, but be YOURSELF. Someone WILL come along (eventually... be patient!!!) whom loves and accepts you, and see's what a great person you are. You may have to spend time with a few losers along the way before you find him though... but it's good practice. To find him, you have to get out there and MEET people... Face to face. You can't shop for him on line or hookup apps like you're ordering a pizza. It's a numbers game - he'll be one of 50 guys you meet.

Hi and welcome GS Smile

Sorry to hear that are having such a rough time. Sad

Coming to terms with ones sexuality is never easy for any of us. I know i found it terribly difficult, but when I did fully cone to accept who I really am I found it to be a AMAZING positive change within myself, and I hope it will be for as well. It is easy to think of all the negatives of being gay, but what about all the positives, have you thought about those? Hopefully just by joining ths forum you will see a different side to be gay a more positive side. Stick with ths forum and you may find it to be a great help to you as I have.