Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodbye little old doggy
So... today our lovely dog left. He was old enough and had people who cared about him; he was smart, fun, sweet and a great friend and of course a family member. Confusedmile: Last week we noticed something he had on his jaw and went to vet to find out a week later (today) it was cancer and spread to his body although we never noticed anything strange about him neither did the vets. It is upsetting though how the vets when they saw an old dog didnt want to make any check ups as we have asked them although money wasnt a issue. Anyway he had to go from something 16 dog years is like 80 human years right?... He had a good life , hope he travels well. Herz

Awww that's sad spoty :frown: But I shant make the thread so pesimistic when you've kept it so positive.

We had a black labrador when I was younger who was 16 human yrs old - but we noticed she seemed to be in pain, was getting a bit grumpy and had something hanging from her tummy so we took her to the vets. It turned out to be breast cancer. So they removed the tumor but another one developed within a week. And several weeks later she too was gone - it all goes so fast. I remember being about 10 and my mum had never let me take her for a walk on my own before but in the weeks leading upto it she finally let me, and it felt so nice, just having a bit of time with her ya know? But since then we've never gotten another dog. Purely coz it was hard when she went.

spotysocks Wrote:So... today our lovely dog left. He was old enough and had people who cared about him; he was smart, fun, sweet and a great friend and of course a family member. Confusedmile: Last week we noticed something he had on his jaw and went to vet to find out a week later (today) it was cancer and spread to his body although we never noticed anything strange about him neither did the vets. It is upsetting though how the vets when they saw an old dog didnt want to make any check ups as we have asked them although money wasnt a issue. Anyway he had to go from something 16 dog years is like 80 human years right?... He had a good life , hope he travels well. Herz

We are very sorry to hear of your loss, Kaltses. O skilos sou must have been such a sweetheart. They say a dog is often a reflection of its master. I believe it's the other way round: I think I read somewhere that 1 of our human years corresponds to 7 dog's years so that would be something like 112 years [16x7], which is quite a feat for a dog.
We hope he travels well too. Time will help heal your pain and sorrow.
Herz Bighug

Aww so sorry to hear about your dog spoty. He certainly lived to a good age and must have enjoyed being part of your pack.

My own dog lived to the ripe old age of 16 too. He had to be let go though after having a stroke one morning.
We had him cremated at Cambridge Pet Crematorium and his ashes, which came back in a beautiful wooden box with his name engraved onto a metal plate on it, are kept in our living room.

Bighug

PA: The 1 human year = 7 dogs years has certainly been thought of to be the way it goes, but it isn't quite accurate. Dogs age faster when they are younger, and the aging process slows down after reaching adulthood.
Different breeds (mainly their weight ranges) also have a factor to play in the calculation of human:dog years.

Sorry to hear spoty.
Its always a hard time when a beloved pet passes on. Just know it is better for the pet to die peacefully, than to suffer with cancer.

Thank you fellow animal lovers for the sympathy and the sweet stories. Confusedmile: Never a good thing whenever we loose someone whether is a pet a human even an empty wallet, the loss is only as big as the bond we had. It is shocking, strange and almost depressing how quick things happen most of the time and not having him around. We thought he will get to the vets ,do something to him, buy some really expensive tablets and get him back home but when the decision to put him to sleep had to be taken it wasnt a happy moment especially for the people who looked after him all his life. Missing hearing him walking on the wooden floor though...so sweet! Bless.

Bighug

Seems like your little doggie had a great life.

Sorry to hear of your lose but keeping good thoughts will get you all thru this time of sorrow.

hugs,
frank