Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia and glbt issues
This is probably mainly addressed to any Russian members that may be on GS. I know there have been some in the past.

Some of you may know that I have been active in a number of human rights campaigns including some to do with recent events in Russia. A Dutch friend yesterday pointed me to this document and I am wondering whether there are Russians on GS who feel able to express a point of view on what is happening in their country.

To the best of my knowledge I have acted with integrity, but I am willing to look again at my involvement in some campaigns if I can be convinced that the information I have is inaccurate.

I am specially interested to hear from any Russian members about their perceptions of the new anti-propaganda laws, the apparent church-led rise of homophobia, the increase in vigilante activity of groups like Occupy Paedophilia. I would also welcome any further information that might deepen my understanding of what life is like for glbt people in Russia. If you prefer, you may send me private messages. This is a search for personal enlightenment!

Thanks.

Rather than open a new post on virtually the same subject, I'm posting this here for anyone who is interested:

/http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/feb/06/dispatches-russia-gay-brutality-k2-storyville

The programme can be seen here:

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I watched this last night, having seem some Twitter comments about it.

I was taken aback at whats going on there. Its very sad. The program makes for very somber viewing, and its extremely distressing in areas (you've been warned!)

ObW
X

Putin seems to have forgotten how many famous Russians were homosexuals. Among other there were:

Nikolai Przhevalsky (Explorer)
Konstantin Leontiev(Critic)
Mikhail Kuzmin (Poet and musician)
Sergei Paradjanov (Film critic)
Gennady Trifonov (Poet)
Tchaikovsky (Composer)
Nijinsky (Dancer)
Nureyev(Dancer)
Diaghilev (Entrepreneur - founder of the Ballets Russe)
Gogol (Writer)
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Does anyone remember if Putin came out against homosexuality BEFORE there was that little scandal of him kissing a little boy on the belly?

ETA: in case anyone doesn't know/ remember:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5155448.stm

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/artic...04085.html

Thanks for your responses so far. Yes, I have seen Hunted and the Stephen Fry programmes and found both to be very interesting, sad and at times horrifying. These things have encouraged me to spend a small fortune on train fares and give time to attending rallies and support campaigns on behalf of lgbt people in Russia.

A few things have puzzled me though. I heard Nicolai Alexeyev speak on the radio recently and he was condemning the world's campaigns against the new law, "Russian Federation Law No. 135-FZ - On Protections of Minors from Propaganda of Non-Traditional Sexual Relations”. I have known him to be a controversial figure in gay activism in Russia for some years, but I was curious that he was so strongly against the kind of support I thought I was giving. I was curious that hugely publicised cases, such as that of Dimitry Isakov (who, you may remember, went into the centre of his home town, Kazan, and held up a banner stating “Being gay and loving gays is normal. Beating gays and killing gays is a crime.”) He was publicly assaulted by his parents and bundled off to the police station where they demanded he be charged with breaking the law. Then it went quiet. I'd have thought this would have become some kind of cause. It seems the police did not charge him, but that was not followed up. There is more to the story if you read the report linked in my original post. I have seen YouTube videos of the police breaking up groups of people, but I have also seen video of police standing back and allowing single people to hold their banners under the glare of cameras.

I have now also read Russian Federation Law No. 135-FZ and it is not what many people are saying. For example:

"According to Article 6.21, 28 “propaganda to minors” is the act of distributing information to minors that:
1. Disseminating of information aimed at forming non-traditional sexual attitudes
among minors, attractiveness of non-traditional sexual relationships
2. Presents a distorted image of social equality of traditional and non-traditional sexual relationships
3. The forced imposition of information of non-traditional sexual relationships, which can attract interest to such relationships.

The text of the law bans adults from initiating contact with minors/children who do not self identify as LGBT for the express purpose of encouraging the minor/child to explore
Russian Federation Anti-Gay Laws: An Analysis & Deconstruction Page 18 of 72
non-traditional sexual relationships when there had not been interest previously.
There is nothing in the legislation that prevents a minor/child who does not openly identify as LGBT but privately seeks out resources as to as they come to terms with their sexuality during that difficult period of adolescence that any of us who identify as LGBT have experienced. In fact, nothing in the legislation prevents LGBT youth resources to provide services to minors who seek out such services."

Yes, there are some incredibly badly informed people in Russia, including some senior politicians - but I'm pretty sure we can find those everywhere. There is no doubt that there is hateful propaganda being spouted by ultra-conservatives and that religious leaders are often there in the mix. There are also hate groups actively baiting gay men, but I am pretty certain these things go on in the UK and in the USA too.

The report I linked to above was published by Brian M. Heiss on January 21, 2014. I don't know Mr Heiss' work, but he is apparently a resident of the USA and an activist on behalf of human rights causes. I don't think he has an axe to grind in making the points he makes.

Shockingly and according to the stats there have been forty instances of recorded hate crime in Russia over the past four years, but nearly 4,500 in the USA. I realise that only recorded hate crimes can figure in the numbers, but the report makes some interesting observations nonetheless.

I am questioning what it is that I actually know and what it is that I have been fed.