Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gordon Brown
I'm lost at how gordon brown has suddenly become populare again.

To state a fact, he really isn't doing much in the economicle crisis, its all down to bush and his actions at the moment, it doesn't seem like hes getting far considering his 700billion was denied, and thats around $90 increase on tax which is too much it would involve more action than just increasing tax people would need much more support!

I don't think anyone is looking at the bigger picture of what is going on, everyone is focusing on the economical crisis.
Blair got us into this, yet he left to go america can we continue to place faith on the labour party?

I see it as people don't want to send in cameron because the amount of changes he want's to make, and no one sees this as a time for taking 'risks'.

Me personally I want to see Conservative party moving in I like their policies on education and the NHS.
I don't see their OAP policies coming in, but I could go on all day about supporting the older generation.

The labout party doesn't seem to be doing much for the NHS, honestly I want old labour.

I agree with you there CardShark, iv been looking at everything i can find in the papers on the way to college in the morning and theres always something about the crisis on, and now Gordons becoming popular again? :S

When i lived in Basildon a few months ago when our parties changed from Labour to Conservative i noticed a massive improvement, The police had more action in things and actually went around our neughbourhood and knocked on peoples doors to see if we had any trouble and what we would like to see in our public community, also old and wearing buildings are actaully being pulled down and being rebuilt to remind us of the today and the future such as our Laindon shopping centre and our Pre-War High rises, which are being pulled down and being made in to proper houses and shops which are safer to be around.

Im definatly interested in the Conservative party after all that!

Maffyew Wrote:I agree with you there CardShark, iv been looking at everything i can find in the papers on the way to college in the morning and theres always something about the crisis on, and now Gordons becoming popular again? :S

When i lived in Basildon a few months ago when our parties changed from Labour to Conservative i noticed a massive improvement, The police had more action in things and actually went around our neughbourhood and knocked on peoples doors to see if we had any trouble and what we would like to see in our public community, also old and wearing buildings are actaully being pulled down and being rebuilt to remind us of the today and the future such as our Laindon shopping centre and our Pre-War High rises, which are being pulled down and being made in to proper houses and shops which are safer to be around.

Im definatly interested in the Conservative party after all that!
Of course, I know nothing about your part of the world, but plans take a long time to go through the system ... There was, I believe, some opposition to the redevelopment proposals too, which would have slowed things down. Labour can't have got it all wrong in the area, since Basildon has continued to return a Labour MP.

I don't know what's worse, Labour wages war on the people by installing the most sophisticated and widespread surveillance, curfews and identity cards, while the Conservatives just send in the police and the army. Have another look at Billy Elliott and be careful what you wish for.

Things are rarely what we think they are :frown:

If Gordon Brown is becoming "popular again", its because someone, somewhere has decided it suits their purpose.

Billy Elliot was a long time ago, their was a lot of problems back then it doesn't mean they will take the same approach plus maggie isn't in going to be in parlament!

Labour are trying to slip the ID cards through by making immagrants have them I've heard.

I think what is happeneing to society shows that their is need for change, the government are wasting money on cameras when that money can be put towards education systems and supporting childeren from a young age stopping them from becoming troublesome,
Their are lots of places that have proven that this fact works!

As Maffyew has pointed out they have noticed that problem, that are creating envoronments suited for family's cutting down on crime again!

I think Conservative Party are what we need, not new labour.
I want to see the education system change.

CardShark Wrote:... I want to see the education system change.
Better not start on this one, the education system hasn't stopped changing since the 1980s. What is most seriously wrong with education is that successive government ministers, their advisers and civil servants have each thought of another brilliant idea each time someone has changed their socks :mad: . For example, the National Curriculum has been such a fiasco because it has been riddled with everyone's good ideas, power games and infighting. In fact if the "National Curriculum" was such a good idea why do we need four of them; one each for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland? Why would each of these have gone through several revisions in a very short space of time? A period of proper research and evaluation would have made a better impression on teachers, would have saved a lot of people's physical and emotional health and might have encouraged a bit more thinking. You are part of a generation that has been experimented on throughout your whole time of school. Uncertainty, unease and perpetual confusion over what is and what isn't a priority in education have caused many of the the problems to which you allude. The last thing anyone in education needs is yet another clever initiative. How about a policy of not changing anything for a while, trusting teachers to act like the professionals they are supposed to be and just letting things bed down?

But the government are suggesting that every school in england need exactly the same and they are treating them exaclty the same.

The aim of conservatives are to hand power over to that individual school, letting them do what is needed for the community that the school is in.

But I agree in some way with letting it settle for a while.

CardShark Wrote:But the government are suggesting that every school in england need exactly the same and they are treating them exaclty the same.

The aim of conservatives are to hand power over to that individual school, letting them do what is needed for the community that the school is in.

But I agree in some way with letting it settle for a while.
That was the aim of the conservatives before and it caused chaos and resentment and took a lot of funding away from the schools that weren't big enough to operate without the support of the local authority. The whole Grant Maintained Status fiasco was a massive triumph of ideology over fairness and common sense. Some schools did very well out of it, while many lost out massively. That was the period when the decimation of school music services began.

I agree that schools should have freedom in how they spend money, but they also need to be accountable and there have to be safeguards for those that need support to ensure fairness in the system. It's ridiculous expecting a school with a teaching staff of 2.5 (yes, two point five) to fulfil the same administrative functions as a school with a staff of thirty. There are not the hours in the day and most school secretaries do not have enough working hours to keep up with the work that exists already without giving them more to do that will be the inevitable result of further responsibilities.

marshlander Wrote:Have another look at Billy Elliott and be careful what you wish for.

Cant really follow the arguments but love a great debate.

Was really struck by Billy Elliot in so many ways... always wondered about the politics in the film and how accurate it was.

Would love to take another look at Billy Elliot for any reason.

marshlander Wrote:That was the aim of the conservatives before and it caused chaos and resentment and took a lot of funding away from the schools that weren't big enough to operate without the support of the local authority. The whole Grant Maintained Status fiasco was a massive triumph of ideology over fairness and common sense. Some schools did very well out of it, while many lost out massively. That was the period when the decimation of school music services began.

Got me their, I don't recall that.

fjp999 Wrote:Cant really follow the arguments but love a great debate.

Was really struck by Billy Elliot in so many ways... always wondered about the politics in the film and how accurate it was.

Would love to take another look at Billy Elliot for any reason.
Sadly, Frank, the politics of the time are very accurately reflected in that film. It makes me weep every time I see it. I hope we will never again witness times like it. The Conservative government encouraged family members to take up against each other and created the conditions that allowed the police to run amok on more than one occasion :mad: Fighting the miners was just the laboratory for tactics that would be used against pacifists at CND demos and travelling families in beanfields. Having been on the receiving end of such police tactics I cannot help but believe that a lot more conservatives are going to have to shuffle off before I would ever consider trusting them. It is a shameful period of our history.