Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graffiti Art?
Hi guys so i've been walking around town alot with one of my friends and we keep seeing buildings with Graffti on them i'm not a fan of it, but some people can make really cool things, i don't suggest people to go spray paint the mona lisa on a building or something but it does amaze me how people do it, So i want to know from you guys, what do you consider art? Is it the sound of music, Food? so on? leave me so interesting reponses.

and i'm serious don't graffiti without permission =) xx

man, these kinda questions remind me of university... it really is endless!

I consider art (as an object, media, image, sound, sculpture) to be anything that engages the brain into curious or abstracted thought without intrinsically having any other purpose, i.e, something that is arguably without function other than to stimulate creative thought processes.

On this logic you could say that reading a book on carpentry is 'art', as it teaches creativity and engages the brain; however it does have a functional end, in that it serves a direct purpose. I hope I'm being clear on this :tongue:

Film is interesting - can you consider 'Predator' (1987) to be a work of art? Tongue it's entertainment in a visual medium, but it lacks any qualities of engaging the brain on any level deeper than entertainment. I had this argument with an old flatmate many years ago, he considered all movies to be Art.

I draw the line with graffiti - tagging is expressive and visually stimulating, but it has no cognitive merits and as such breaks my little theory earlier, because I do consider it to be art. It exists for its own sake and provides an outlet for someone to express themselves. I've seen awful graffiti that lets the rest down; most people in England will know of Banksy, the underground stencil artist sellout who pasted London with a number of wonderful and thoughtful stencils that elevated the entire art form.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Graffiti art is cool, sometimes. Hell, I even like graffiti in restrooms at times. I've taken pictures of some if they're really really impressive. However, the chances of that are slim.

I have three larger than life (maybe 10 feet by 10 feet and bigger) depictions on my building done by a local graffitti artist....

Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix and Carlos Santana...they are beautiful. I love them.

I will try to at least post one here...last time I tried my photos kept disappearing LOL
[Image: grf2.jpg]

Graffiti can be very cool, as an art enthusiast I find it amazing what some street artist can do with just a few cans of spray paint.

yes some graffiti is art others is just crapola

Sil Wrote:man, these kinda questions remind me of university... it really is endless!

Banksy, the underground stencil artist sellout who pasted London with a number of wonderful and thoughtful stencils that elevated the entire art form.

ooooohh i love Banksy
deffs one of my fav artists

i think graffiti is an art but tagging isnt