Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Grammar help) meaning of "into"
Sylph Wrote:Well first of all, I wasn't being condescending, sorry if you took it that way:

But it's simply the way I talk and so if you have a problem with that or my "weak grasp" on Manners,

You can easily lick the walls of my pussy and get your life hunny, because I'm not here to listen to your opinion on what really was a non-issue.

Don't think I don't know what you tried to say, but it's how you said what you did.

I know and learn other languages, but you don't have to bring your science degree and shit into this, because it means nothing in this and only made you come across as a bougie bitch.

You've known me long enough to know me and how I go on. Big Grin

Oh, I didn't give you my opinion. That should be obvious to anyone who just read the above post. You may know languages, but you talk (and type) like the trash you are. And yea, I have known you long enough to know.
Thankfully, this is the last time I will ever have to see anymore of your foul mouthed rants, as I am now hitting the ignore button.

~Beaux

I'm with Beaux as I had to sit and read that explanation a few times before it sunk in, so for someone just learning the language, simpler may be better. Though it is the English language and NOTHING is ever truly simple.

Too damn many rules and exceptions to those rules and yeah...we even confuse ourselves most of the time.

Beaux Wrote:Oh, I didn't give you my opinion. That should be obvious to anyone who just read the above post. You may know languages, but you talk (and type) like the trash you are. And yea, I have known you long enough to know.
Thankfully, this is the last time I will ever have to see anymore of your foul mouthed rants, as I am now hitting the ignore button.

~Beaux

Beautiful Sheep

Gideon Wrote:I'm with Beaux as I had to sit and read that explanation a few times before it sunk in, so for someone just learning the language, simpler may be better. Though it is the English language and NOTHING is ever truly simple.

Too damn many rules and exceptions to those rules and yeah...we even confuse ourselves most of the time.

Unfortunately as Beaux says he has me blocked, he won't see this post, however;

Did it maybe never occur that you all were underestimating this person's level of comprehension?

And perhaps did you overestimate the capacity in which your Native English compares next to mine?

Just because my people speak broken English and a second language at that; does not mean that what we do say has to be "Simple" or easy to understand.

As with any language as you pointed out, there will be complexities and it just so happens it seems that the form of English you've learned and use, is more simple in comparison.

I don't think anyone's competency or lack thereof, deserves derision, simply on the fact that they do not share the same level.

I know many languages, but like I said, I am always learning also and so I of all people here, if we must be blunt, would know best in this regard, as well as any bilingual/multilingual here.

I can't help it if Beaux wanted to catch feelings and the wind up his skirt, due to his having a degree and still being inept.

I simply tried to explain what wasn't already. Pengy

I think i will never understand prepositions Big Grin

Go and then there are
Go in, on, out, of, for bling bling wtf, to ... And all means differend...

And into? Why just not to or in?

Put it into the oven... Why not just to the oven?

Life is much simple without prepositions and articles. A or the? Who cares? A cat is still the cat, not a dog...

Big Grin

German was the easiest language for me to learn. There are rules, and only few exceptions. English is just an exception without rules. Swedish is another language being an exception. If it is not "i" then it is "på", but not "till" as it would be logic and you supposed it to be... Big Grin

@Slyph .... I'm not entirely sure which part of that response was actually for me, but I just wanted to say that none of what I said was intended to be derisive toward you or the OP. Simply stating that for me, your explanation(while fantastic and informative) was a bit hard to follow. Therefore it was my assumption(yes) that it would be difficult for a non native English speaker to follow as well.

Sorry man, it wasn't intended as an attack in the least, but it sounds like it was taken in that vein so...apologies offered.

Gideon Wrote:@Slyph .... I'm not entirely sure which part of that response was actually for me, but I just wanted to say that none of what I said was intended to be derisive toward you or the OP. Simply stating that for me, your explanation(while fantastic and informative) was a bit hard to follow. Therefore it was my assumption(yes) that it would be difficult for a non native English speaker to follow as well.

Sorry man, it wasn't intended as an attack in the least, but it sounds like it was taken in that vein so...apologies offered.

Hunny, I never felt attacked to start with, so no need to apologize, tho I accept it.

I merely wanted to get my point across in general and never was "out for blood" unto anyone.

I am simply very candid and blunt, so it rubs some the wrong way. C'est la vie gurl.Sheep

My goodness, I never saw an argument over an explanation of grammar. There's nothing wrong with using the technical grammar terms, but it is a bit too buttoned up for many people.

@seeking, another word is WITHIN, which means that there are time or space limits at either end of a period or a place. It is an amalgamated word of two prepositions, WITH and IN, similarly to INTO (IN and TO).
''Let me know within an hour'' means that the hour starts as soon as I've finished speaking and will end in 60 minutes, and that's the time limit you have to tell me what I need to know. After that it will be too late.
INTO can be used also in such expressions as ''To be into someone or something'', and that means that you enjoy or like that person or thing. Example: ''He's INTO planes.'' He enjoys planes and everything concerning aviation.

again why not just during? what is the differend between "within an hour" and "during an hour"? to me they seems to be the same thing.

[MENTION=22145]mrex[/MENTION].
During implies that the process will take the whole hour. It's a bit similar to 'for' an hour.

I was at the launderette for an hour. During the wash, I was able to read two chapters of my book. Reading took the whole time of the wash.

Within means that something can take place in that time limit. (From the 1st minute to the last minute if we are talking about time, from this end to the other end if we are talking about space)

I had to do some laundry, I found the launderette. Within 50 minutes my laundry was washed and dried. It means that it took no more than 50 minutes to do all the operations of washing and drying (two limits : starting and finishing the operations).

During is used to show the process as something that is ongoing, but not necessarily finished. For example,

I read my book for an hour and I managed to read two chapters but I didn't finish the book. You could see me reading at any time during the wash and dry cycle in the launderette.