Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Gravity"
Has anyone seen this? I saw it last night and came away disappointed. The "plot" if you can call it that, is about two people, eventually one, stranded in space. What I found most unbelievable was the fact that the female role was able to transfer from an American space ship to a Russian one and then eventually to a Chinese one , and manage to read both languages even though she apparently spoke only English and fly both.

The filming was spectacular I suppose but then I don't go to the cinema to be "entertained" by special effects and 3D does nothing for me at all. I like a believable plot.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

The female role couldn't read much of Chinese and she also couldn't read much Russian at all. But the Chinese spacecraft was pretty much the exactly the same construction as the Soyuz aricraft. They copied the entire control and the button locations exactly from the Soyuz control, that's why she was able to know which button was which because she knew which button was located in which section. I really liked the movie in a way that it showed some accurate physics of what happens in the space. Like when George Clooney opened the hatch of Soyuz in her hallucination, she didn't inflate to death or anything. It's also shown in the 2001 Space Odyssey. You don't die by inflation, but mostly from the cold temperature and radiation, and you can survive a space walk without a helmet for maybe like a minute. What made me wonder was the Soyuz pressure suit. Since the suit didn't have any back pack that holds the oxygen, I wonder where the oxygen tank is since it just looks like a piece of thin suit. Tongue

LONDONER Wrote:Has anyone seen this? I saw it last night and came away disappointed. The "plot" if you can call it that, is about two people, eventually one, stranded in space. What I found most unbelievable was the fact that the female role was able to transfer from an American space ship to a Russian one and then eventually to a Chinese one , and manage to read both languages even though she apparently spoke only English and fly both.

The filming was spectacular I suppose but then I don't go to the cinema to be "entertained" by special effects and 3D does nothing for me at all. I like a believable plot.

Really that your alls complaint?

Tell me why are they sending up a medical type to fix the Hubble in the first place?

The last I was aware, Hubble was a telescope, not a biolab...

Waylon777 Wrote:The female role couldn't read much of Chinese and she also couldn't read much Russian at all. But the Chinese spacecraft was pretty much the exactly the same construction as the Soyuz aricraft. They copied the entire control and the button locations exactly from the Soyuz control, that's why she was able to know which button was which because she knew which button was located in which section. I really liked the movie in a way that it showed some accurate physics of what happens in the space. Like when George Clooney opened the hatch of Soyuz in her hallucination, she didn't inflate to death or anything. It's also shown in the 2001 Space Odyssey. You don't die by inflation, but mostly from the cold temperature and radiation, and you can survive a space walk without a helmet for maybe like a minute. What made me wonder was the Soyuz pressure suit. Since the suit didn't have any back pack that holds the oxygen, I wonder where the oxygen tank is since it just looks like a piece of thin suit. Tongue

Whatever, it was rather a silly movie in my opinion and I'm sorry I wasted my money on seeing it.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

True, another things is, why would any space agency let any astronauts go to space without passing the Soyuz flight test...

God this fiction stuff is annoying....

Where are all the facts dammit - ?!

LONDONER Wrote:Has anyone seen this? I saw it last night and came away disappointed. The "plot" if you can call it that, is about two people, eventually one, stranded in space. What I found most unbelievable was the fact that the female role was able to transfer from an American space ship to a Russian one and then eventually to a Chinese one , and manage to read both languages even though she apparently spoke only English and fly both.

I'll take a peek at it when it's available on DVD. Better a library card than a credit card...

I enjoyed it...it was the 2nd 3D movie I saw in imax; avatar being the first

It wasn't a masterpiece but I enjoyed it. Cuarón's cheap sentimentality almost ruined it for me but the visual effects were extraordinary.

It comes out on Wednesday here. Gonna see it...

I'm afraid everyone will be disapointed because everybody says that it's the best movie ever and it doesn't seem to be that exceptionnal.