Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Gravity"
I really disliked this movie.

The effects were of course amazing. It was great to see how frustrating and disorientating zero gravity could really be.

But everything else was too heavy handed for me; the fetus homage to 2001, the spiritual bullshit which seemed to placate to middle America, the too cool George Clooney character, the fumbling incompetent female character (all she needed was a man's help! Even a ghost man's.)

Just... ugh.

Wade Wrote:I really disliked this movie.

The effects were of course amazing. It was great to see how frustrating and disorientating zero gravity could really be.

But everything else was too heavy handed for me; the fetus homage to 2001, the spiritual bullshit which seemed to placate to middle America, the too cool George Clooney character, the fumbling incompetent female character (all she needed was a man's help! Even a ghost man's.)

Just... ugh.

THANK YOU.

I was getting sick of everyone saying how good it was.

Ugh the night I went to see it was awful, they said there was a non-3D session available but there wasn't, they didn't tell us we had to buy the 3d glasses separately, and then I still got a headache afterwards!

There was just so many weak points to this movie, I couldn't believe how badly written its script was! It was just... yuck! I hated it, I hope nobody actually talks like that in space. It absolutely smacked of that weird awful new style of scriptwriting that I see everywhere, especially on TV, where things just aren't realistic and sound like a teenager who lived in a closet with a laptop for a year wrote it.

It was just pretty. (it wasn't even THAT pretty, and I'm pretty sure fire in zero gravity doesn't look like what they made it look like...)

Lilitu Wrote:It absolutely smacked of that weird awful new style of scriptwriting that I see everywhere, especially on TV, where things just aren't realistic and sound like a teenager who lived in a closet with a laptop for a year wrote it.

I agree. The dialogue was obnoxious. I'm fairly certain that if an astronaut truly behaved like Clooney's character did in space... well, he'd never make it up there. Or he'd be told to shut the hell up and focus on the very important, very expensive, dangerous mission that's taking place in outer fucking space! If they were going for realism, then I think they missed the mark, at least where dialogue and human behavior is concerned.

Then again, if they went for true realism, then it may have been very boring; just a bunch of NASA jargon. But I think I would've preferred that. But maybe they were trying to go for an old school, Top Gun kind of feel with the Clooney character. I don't know. Whatever it was, it was lame.

I also didn't like the movie much.

The protagonists wasted a lot of time doing useless things and eventually the guy that George Clooney played died.

The female lead was panicking and flailing around all the time that it became really distracting.

The ending was a bit disappointing as well (me being a huge fan of happy endings).

Oh well, I guess different people look for different things in a film...

Maybe, just maybe, one day Hollywood will wake up to the fact that special effects do not a film make.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I don't think that Metro is probably the best critic in the world but on this occasion, I agree with it:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/07/seven-reas...r-4177734/

And here's one reviewer who definitely doesn't agree with me:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entert...27020.html
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I'll give it one thing though. It was probably the best use of 3D I've ever seen. But I still hated the fact it was 3D.

To elaborate, imagine 3D movies as a box full of crap pens that don't work, are sticky and smelly and annoy you to no end. Gravity is like one of those pens, except it has a few good drops of ink left that will last me about an hour.

Guess I will wait to see it on DVD when it comes out.

Not too big on George Clooney, but I like Sandra Bullock a lot.