Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Gravity"
LONDONER Wrote:Has anyone seen this? I saw it last night and came away disappointed. The "plot" if you can call it that, is about two people, eventually one, stranded in space. What I found most unbelievable was the fact that the female role was able to transfer from an American space ship to a Russian one and then eventually to a Chinese one , and manage to read both languages even though she apparently spoke only English and fly both.

The filming was spectacular I suppose but then I don't go to the cinema to be "entertained" by special effects and 3D does nothing for me at all. I like a believable plot.

Ok, saw the movie...I wouldn't call it bad...it was entertaining enough

If I recall correctly, she didn't knew Chinese, she just recognized the "start" button from design and after that she was guessing...I remember her going "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe"

To the Russian in the Soyuz she had training on a test module so she knew where the button were, doesn't mean she knew how to read Russian..

although I would think that to get into NASA you would have to train for a wee bit more than 6 months and to actually pass the Soyuz test....oh well

As to the whole topic of the movie, I'll leave it to the master

[Image: tumblr_lpzwuu2V4k1qgz9tno1_500.gif]

Needs more Dragons!

southbiochem Wrote:Ok, saw the movie...I wouldn't call it bad...it was entertaining enough

If I recall correctly, she didn't knew Chinese, she just recognized the "start" button from design and after that she was guessing...I remember her going "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe"

To the Russian in the Soyuz she had training on a test module so she knew where the button were, doesn't mean she knew how to read Russian..

although I would think that to get into NASA you would have to train for a wee bit more than 6 months and to actually pass the Soyuz test....oh well

OK, so she didn't know Russian or Chinese but after only six months training and in a situation of extreme matter of life or death stress, do you seriously expect me to beleive that even if she remembered where the "Start" button was among the myriad of buttons in front of her, she would know what to do next?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

This will definitely get an oscar or two for special FX.

Saw it this past weekend.

Overrated, completely implausible nonsense.

Stunning special effects, but that's it.

Ekwarph Wrote:It comes out on Wednesday here. Gonna see it...

I'm afraid everyone will be disapointed because everybody says that it's the best movie ever and it doesn't seem to be that exceptionnal.
Finally, I saw it in 3D and found it brilliant.
Lots of symbols all along the movie and exceptionnal filming

LONDONER Wrote: What I found most unbelievable was the fact that the female role was able to transfer from an American space ship to a Russian one and then eventually to a Chinese one , and manage to read both languages even though she apparently spoke only English and fly both.
I wonder if you've really seen the movie...

6 months of training is not enough, unless she had already done this before. When you first pass the astronaut test, you go through series different training including all the anti gravity training, the swimming pool training, the Soyuz training, and everything else. Plus, before going up to the space, the astronaut to-be has to be enrolled as a back up crew and work in the comm centre. I think most of the people goes through this step. So it would actually take a new astronaut around 3 years or something before he or she can go to space.. 6 months is too short, unless she is really a gifted individual. Either way, if I was the supervisor of the mission, I would now let an astronaut go to space without passing the Soyuz flight test..

southbiochem Wrote:Ok, saw the movie...I wouldn't call it bad...it was entertaining enough

Ekwarph Wrote:I wonder if you've really seen the movie...

Why do you wonder that?

Quotes bug...

@LONDONER : Sorry, my answer was a bit harsh...I was tired ^^
Well cause it was one of the problems she had, she had to remember positions of buttons in the american ship (is it the word?) to "drive" the russian one. Clooney said it was on the same "protocol" than the american one (don't remember the word he used). And then she did randomly for the chinese one.

@Drewsdad : I think it's one of rare movies in which 3D really gives an extra thing. Seeing it on a TV is not the same thing, it would lose of its interest I think

Drewsdad Wrote:Having read your reviews I think I'll wait until it's on DVD. And hope a friend has bought it.
Londoner what attracted you to the Movie ? George Clooney and Sandra Bullock staring would have given me high expectations having now watched the trailers http://gravitymovie.warnerbros.com/#/home it's not something I'd choose to pay a lot of money at the cinema to watch.

Mark Kermode, the film critic on the BBC doesn't like 3D but even he recommended it and specifically said that if you see it you should see it in 3D. I quite like SciFi but this just didn't do it for me.