Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Solstice Wishes....
I don't celebrate "Christmas" or "New Years" for that matter. I celebrate The Winter Solstice. It's an actual, celestial event. At this moment, or close to it, the pole angle, the pitch, the angle at which the earth is spinning relative to the sun, is shifting. The northern hemisphere is beginning to tilt, once again, toward the sun. That is what "The Winter Solstice" is.

Seen from our POV on Earth, it looks like the sun keeps rising further and further south on the horizon each morning. Finally, on the Solstice morning, it is as far south as it is going to get. For the next two to three mornings it appears to rise at the same, southern most point. Then, on the 25th, "Christmas," the sun rises just slightly northward... and continues to rise at a point a bit further north until it reaches its northern most point at The Summer Solstice.

YAY THE SUN IS COMING BACK!!

There have been times in years past when I celebrated rather elaborately. This included feasts, pine bows hung from the rafters, trimmed Solstice trees, yule logs, and lots of friends toasting with many libations.

This year it is just me and rather simple. I've lit four big candles and put them in glass containers, and set them on the railing of my balcony (which is also decorated with a strand of small, white, 'twinkle' lights). Inside I'm in the process of lighting numerous small 'tea' candles, saying my own private 'prayer' to the returning of the sun in our heaven. I haven't eaten dinner yet, but I'm having a steak, potatoes, vegetable, and a glass of wine. After that I'll smoke some of my "medicinal" herb. Later on when I get the munchies I'll have a piece (or two or three) of cake. Tongue3

All the while hanging out here, of course... virtually sharing my celebration with you all.

PEACE JOY SUNSHINE HAPPINESS EXHUBERANCE BLESSINGS LOVE LUST ICE CREAM AND CANDY TO YOU ALL!!!

Happy Solstice! Its humbling to be reminded of our position in the solar system and how that influences our lives.

Happy Solstice Mike Smile. The sun coming back is certainly a cause for celebration! Have a good evening Smile

Happy Solstice Mike~! I've heard of the term, but never quite understand what it is. Thanks for the informative thread. Sounds like an awesome event to celebrate. Smile

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjsUTqZ_-_uE82QkMJ03D...6DfBsBNfgw]

Yes, yes. The other way around for me, but yes.

Can't wait for winter to come back
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

happy solstice to you too - I got some Pagan and Wicca books recently as I find it interesting and wanted to learn more, even our news channels were showing Wicca solstice celebrations yesterday, they weren't too condescending either witch is progress