Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H.O.P.E (homosexuals opposed to pride extremism)
So I was watching this video for the gay pride parade in manchester and it struck me how much I didn't like what I was seeing, how in fact these people make me feel embarrassed and what my sexuality has to do with this show, spectacle, of people that want to be seen as victims, I found this article by an organisation (hope) and every word made sense to me. It just enforced every thing i felt and im going to find out more about HOPE.

If im discriminated against i would get more satisfaction from dealing with it myself.

I don't see anything wrong with gay pride parades.

It consists of a community celebrating one part of themselves that unites them, one little part that many in this world are still scared of... one big part that many who attend those parades otherwise suppress and hide during every other day of each year... so fucking what if they have one celebratory event to attend that comprises of hundreds to thousands of others just like them, where they can feel safe and "at home" to be themselves 100%? That sense of community can, have, and will continue to open minds and save lives.

Straight people have celebrated their sexualities from the early beginnings of man-kind to up until right now in every microscopic aspect of everyday life, and it's rubbed in my face everywhere I turn... TV, music, commercials, advertisements, on the streets, in the stores I go to, not to mention their own celebrations like Mardi Gras, etc.... we have one silly parade, once a year, in cities across the world.... with that in consideration, who are the "extreme" ones?

Where's the gay organization in which I can join opposed to hetero pride extremism?

Congratulations on thinking you'd have the inner-strength to hypothetically deal with every form of gay discrimination and oppression that exists all by yourself, but many people can't and shouldn't have to go it alone, or accept it without fighting back.... many who try end up 6 ft in the ground by either their own hand or that of another.

If gay pride parades aren't for you, don't watch or attend one.

Your sense of embarrassment has nothing to do with gay pride celebrations, but everything to do with you alone.

Your opinion… I know what i think, and yeah its embarrassing and I imagine it can even do harm, influencing people who already homophobic.

Im not going to watch or attend one, and they shouldn't pretend to speak for everyone.

And they dont have straight parades.

On one level, I dont mind but dont tell me there doing it for anything else than to show off and act foolish.

Not that I have a problem with what folks I don't know do with their lives, but I sort of get the same feeling of embarrasement in the overly flamboyant tone of the parade...

Is it needed? Yes, the LGBT community needs this public event to make their stand and to have a space to show the world we are not going anywhere

My issue is that it could be used in a more serious and more approachable note..

this is a personal trait of mine, I rarely enjoy anything crazy and lacking of proper seriousness be it gay, straight or whatever

and if a regular, average acting gay dude like me gets a bit embarrased by this, I can think of how the "normal" folks and the raging homophobes will feel..

While one enjoys the right of freedom of speech (or clothing in this case) I'm afraid that the positive effect it could have is underminded by how antagonizing it is for those who fight LGBT, as this superlative display will generate a powerful reactionary behavior...

instead of being something that could lead to acceptance it may damage even further the image of LGBT community in the eyes of the rest of the population, helping to sustain wrong concepts held my many non LGBTs as such as the "gay life style" bit.

If lectures were given, portraying for examples the work and positive gifts left by gay characters to culture, such as Oscar Wilde, it would be a bit better received..

or al least I think it would be a bit better received

I won't go as far as joining something as HOPE, but I still think a little bit of self-control is needed so not all of us are condemned by a few

Dreamer Wrote:I don't see anything wrong with gay pride parades.

It consists of a community celebrating one part of themselves that unites them, one little part that many in this world are still scared of... one big part that many who attend those parades otherwise suppress and hide during every other day of each year... so fucking what if they have one celebratory event to attend that comprises of hundreds to thousands of others just like them, where they can feel safe and "at home" to be themselves 100%? That sense of community can, have, and will continue to open minds and save lives.

Straight people have celebrated their sexualities from the early beginnings of man-kind to up until right now in every microscopic aspect of everyday life, and it's rubbed in my face everywhere I turn... TV, music, commercials, advertisements, on the streets, in the stores I go to, not to mention their own celebrations like Mardi Gras, etc.... we have one silly parade, once a year, in cities across the world.... with that in consideration, who are the "extreme" ones?

Where's the gay organization in which I can join opposed to hetero pride extremism?

If gay pride parades aren't for you, don't watch or attend one.

Your sense of embarrassment has nothing to do with gay pride celebrations, but with you alone.

Hi dreamer
We have been down this road before on GS. Non the less, I will re-itterate what I said then.

There is nothing, and I mean absolutley nothing to be proud about those events.

They are demeaning, and an embarrasment and an affront me, and everybody else, whether they realise it or not

I personally have suffered greatly as a consequence of one such event which almost cost me the opportunity of fostering my son.

Thankfully here in SA it has died the death it deserves.

The moment you have to create a public specticle of yourself to achieve recognition you have lost your argument and become the laughing stock of the rest of society.

Trial

There just awful and cheap.

Look, I hate the sexual tone of it… as a parade

Openly gay people is a minority, if the media reflects that I have no problem with it, anybody's free to make a gay film, a love story.

There we go again.....

Funny how everybody drags up freedom of speech, freedom of expression blah-blah, and covieniently omits to relate to the second and more important half of those ideals

AND accept the responsibility of the consequences of what you say or do.

Isn't it strange, I have never heard that statement made correctly

VIS I accept the responsibility of the consequences of what I say or do when I exercise my right to freedom of expression or speech

I wonder why....:mad:

partis Wrote:Your opinion… I know what i think, and yeah its embarrassing and I imagine it can even do harm, influencing people who already homophobic.

Homophobic people will always have their reasons, or an "example" to use as gasoline for their flame. Getting rid of every gay pride parade for one tiny "embarrassing" slice that make them up won't silence homophobia or slow it down.

partis Wrote:Im not going to watch or attend one, and they shouldn't pretend to speak for everyone.
Please, explain when "they" claimed to "speak" for everyone? They haven't. It's called "gay pride" for a reason, conservatives don't fit that mold. The title alone says "they" don't speak for everyone.

partis Wrote:And they dont have straight parades.
They may not call them "straight parades", but for the value of context in respect to the "embarrassing" aspects of gay parades, there are plenty of hetero parades and celebrations filled to the brim with extravagant, lewd behavior. That was my point.

And you're correct, out of context from my point, there aren't straight pride parades supporting a strong sense of community, safety, and love because they aren't needed.

partis Wrote:On one level, I dont mind but dont tell me there doing it for anything else than to show off and act foolish.
Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but they do hold gay pride celebrations, not only for showing pride in their sexuality alone, but yes, for also mending hearts, opening minds, and bringing people together to form a relieving sense of community.

There's nothing wrong with that.

I remember when I was in college and the head of the GSU suggested that feminine men "ruined our image" in the straight world. I strongly disagreed with him and let him know it.

This thread reminds me of him.

I don't seek acceptance or approval...I seek equality under the law.

No ive got no problem with feminine men, im not exactly masculine myself, ive got no problem with gay clubs or crossdressers, i look amazing in a dress Wavey

I even like the idea of gay holiday resorts.

you can make that association on your own!