Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP! Recipe needed
KawaiiKitty Wrote:Im glad I dont have any vegan/vegetarian friends cause I would never have them over. Ive always been of the mindset if you come over to my place and feed you food for free you eat what I serve or you can bring your own damn well food. lol What I serve is always delicious though that most people would pay to eat in a restaurant. Not to sound cocky though(I know it probably does already) but most people tell me I should be a chef and stuff. I just dont like people telling me what I can and cant prepare.

Plus I cant stand most vegans pushing their "no killing animals" agenda onto me. Some animals were put on this planet for us to consume, get the fuck over it. If youre doing it for health reasons I understand and more power to ya.(its still a choice though and you can eat my food or you can starve) I cant stand anyone that try to push their beliefs onto me no matter what it is so they can do what it says in my sig.

That said, I think some kimchi would fit the bill too for your dinner party. You can find some really good ones if you have a local Korean market. I prefer homemade kimchi though to store bought. Some Korean markets actually make it at the store as well. I like those too but anything from a factory usually tastes worse than homemade. Its pretty easy to make kimchi at home. There are a ton of videos of making it at home on the web. Its just time consuming and the prepping process takes overnight usually If you make it this weekend it should be nice and fermented by the time your dinner party is ready.

As much as I appreciate people reading my posts and replying, what exactly was the point of your post? I my first post I said quite specificaly that not only were my friends vegan but the the two boys would not eat anythinhg with spices and herbs and yet you suggested kimchi that contains among other things, Korean red pepper powder, fish sauce, peeled and minced fresh ginger, minced garlic cloves and Korean salted shrimp.

So, once again, what exactly was the point of your post apart from bragging about your own culinary skills. Why would I invite four vegans to dinner if I were only going to serve food that they couldn't eat? A good host will always take in to account the culinary preferences of their guests otherwise they are not good hosts.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:As much as I appreciate people reading my posts and replying, what exactly was the point of your post? I my first post I said quite specificaly that not only were my friends vegan but the the two boys would not eat anythinhg with spices and herbs and yet you suggested kimchi that contains among other things, Korean red pepper powder, fish sauce, peeled and minced fresh ginger, minced garlic cloves and Korean salted shrimp.

So, once again, what exactly was the point of your post apart from bragging about your own culinary skills. Why would I invite four vegans to dinner if I were only going to serve food that they couldn't eat? A good host will always take in to account the culinary preferences of their guests otherwise they are not good hosts.

You dont have to always add fish sauce or salted shrimp to kimchi. My bf's mother makes delicious korean kimchi without fish sauce or shirmp because Im allergic to seafood.

As to the other ingredients I dunno why you would cater to two brats who are that picky about what they eat. I mean NO spices and herbs at all? What do they eat at home? Plain bananas and with hot plain oatmeal for every meal? Plus no one said that they HAD to eat everything that you served. You could maybe expose them to 1 new dish with some new spices and herbs. That might hopefully expand their taste buds past what they can find at the bottom of a happy meal. Those two must eat the most bland meals Ive ever heard of. Plus if theyre all vegans how do they eat their food at home? From my understanding of vegans they use a TON of spices and herbs in their dishes to make up from the lack of other flavors that meat and other meat byproducts give(like rendered fat).

I mainly thought of kimchi because it is something, if made correctly, a vegan can eat and enjoy VERY much. If you want to lecture me on how to be a good host I think I can lecture you on how to be a good cook. A good cook can take almost any recipe and make it work for almost any dinner no matter who the guests may be. Now if you want to go ahead and get snotty and snippity with me when Im only trying to help then you can.

And I will say again, if I am feeding people for free then they eat what I serve. Tongue i dont care if they feel Im good host or not.

Don't forget legumes.

I love Garbanzo beans and black beans myself.

Richard