Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPV Questions
Someone I slept with about three and a half weeks ago told me on Friday he had developed warts on his penis and scrotum and itching.

I've never had any signs or symptoms of and STI before, I got checked by my doctor today, and had labs drawn, to test for all the other STIs they have tests for, but they can't specifically test for HPV in males apparently the way it is diagnosed is by symptoms.

I have no symptoms and when my doctor did my genital and rectal exam she said she did not see anything to concern her.

Anyone have any experience with HPV, I have done some online research and the US CDC estimates as many as 60% of sexually active adults contract HPV at some time in their lives. But a much smaller percentage ever show symptoms.

It makes me wonder if I had it and just never had any symptoms.

Trying to get him into a doctor to get checked too but it's complicated by him not having insurance and he just got a job so he's basically broke.

My doctor recommended I get the vaccination so they started me on the Gardasil series today, it's three shots over six months.

I guess my question is does it sound like I had it or am I being paranoid.

The not knowing has really been stressing me out.

Richard

Unfortunately, there's no way to say whether you had it or not. I suppose if you were this guy's first and only sexual contact then it would be likely you did, but I'm guessing that's not the case here.

Guys can have HPV without ever experiencing symptoms. The good news is that some guys clear the virus completely without showing symptoms. Here are a few quotes from WebMD:

Quote:The types of high-risk HPV that can cause cancer rarely present any symptoms in men or in women. Genital warts are the first symptom you may see with low-risk HPV strains that cause warts but not cancer.

There is no treatment for HPV infection in men when no symptoms are present. Instead, doctors treat the health problems that are caused by the HPV virus.

Early treatment of warts is discouraged by some doctors because genital warts can go away on their own. It can also take time for all warts to appear. So a person who treats warts as soon as they appear may need another treatment later on.

It's a drag to have a sexual contact show up with symptoms. Stressing about it is understandable, but it doesn't do you any good. It sounds like you've done the best you can by seeing your doc right away and planning on the HPV vaccination. Get as much info as you can from her. I hope that's as far as this goes for you.

If you hadn't,
next time use a condom,
to reduce your chances of STI and STD's.

Also,
be more vigilant when choosing who you sleep with!

Use this health scare as a learned lesson,
and DON'T REPEAT IT!

Next time you might not be so lucky.

For your friend,
I'd say find the nearest free clinic around so he can get tested,
and treated for possible HPV,
as well as anything else he might have.

That way he won't have to worry about the costs,
since he doesn't have insurance.

Your bound to find your local health dept.,
with a quick google search.

I did and always do wear condoms. The scary thing about HPV is that it lives in your skin cells and can be transmitted skin to skin, orally, etc. condoms don't fully protect you.

Ruchard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

It is impossible to determine if you have been carrying the virus all along. That's why this disease is so contagious.

My understanding is getting the vaccination is definitely a good idea. There is no cure, but it sounds like the vaccine can be quite effective.

Good luck.

YOU CAN BE TESTED FOR HPV! I don't know WHO told you that there's no test because there IS!

Find another doctor!

How?

Richard

BobInTampa Wrote:YOU CAN BE TESTED FOR HPV! I don't know WHO told you that there's no test because there IS!

Find another doctor!

They test women for HPV. But please explain how they test for men. Thanks.

According to the US CDC, there is no approved method to screen males for HPV. Females can be screened with a pap test.

Males who have symptoms, i.e. warts, can have biopsies done on those warts to test for HPV specifically. But since all warts, no matter where they occur are caused by variations of HPV that's kind of pointless.

I have no symptoms.

No way to be tested.

At least in this country. It's possible there is a test that is used in another country not approved by the CDC and FDA.

Richard

BobInTampa Wrote:YOU CAN BE TESTED FOR HPV! I don't know WHO told you that there's no test because there IS!

Find another doctor!

Don't mean to double up

But just want to establish the facts.

The people who told me are the following,
Websites:
The United States Center for Disease Control and Prevention
The United States Food and Drug Administration
Web MD

People
My Doctor, Dr Berg
Dr Berg's primary admission nurse whose name I don't remember.
Adam, an LPN i want to date see other threads for more info about him.

I got a lot of information from google too.

Thanks for your concern but I get as much info as I can.

Richard