Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hair of the dog : )
Sheesh, and here I have spent the last 20 someodd years or so collecting dog hair and throwing it in the compost heap, I could have been making stuff with heaps of dog hair.

These little critters look great, I fear my talents are not quite so small, I do not have the dexterity for fine small work, thus I stick with larger things.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Sheesh, and here I have spent the last 20 someodd years or so collecting dog hair and throwing it in the compost heap, I could have been making stuff with heaps of dog hair.

These little critters look great, I fear my talents are not quite so small, I do not have the dexterity for fine small work, thus I stick with larger things.

LOL LOL you made me laugh so hard with that lmao~ *wipes eyes*

Could you use Cat hair? I have a Savannah whose pretty dog-sized (duh). But no dog...

I tried felting once (both types the 3D and the flat way). I used sheep wool though LOL

I liked making pictures with the wool and needle. I used the common needle, nothing special. I put a piece of felt on a thick soft foam (the one that can be used for making soft pillows to sit on, I am not familiar with the proper terminology Smile)
And I layered colored wool and every layer fixed into the felt with the needle. It was surprisingly easy and quick and it was fun.

oh, btw. "hair of the dog" is an English saying that means something, isn't it? I've definitely heard it already. What does it mean? Smile

I'm back to throwing it in the compost heap as well now, although Wattle-Birds nesting in the tree ferns in my garden, take the hair from the compost and recycle it into woven blankets to line their nests.

Detailed stuff is difficult for me lately as I have optic atrophy. Reading the forum is tough! One eye can't even recognise print, and the other eye does weird things to compensate at times, so my focus goes out of wack and hard to match facial features. Being more comic characters its easier to get away with. I found it helpful to take pics of the faces, to see from a different perspective. A good thing is that if you make a mistake, for example with an eye, it can be just pulled out and done again.

Maybe a long haired cat Roxy. Catmilk
I'm sure my dog's hair would spin well, but I'd need a herd to make anything!
I only clip his coat once a year, and last year I used it, but some hairs were too short, so when I jabbed the skin colour over it, his hairs kept popping out!
Now I use a core wool of merino, in a rougher grade, then cover with a skin coloured wool.

All you'd need to start is a block of firm foam, (just an off cut will do), felting needles, (best in 3 grades for light, medium and heavy jabs) and some wool from a craft shop. Probably around a tenner all up, to get you started. Then, they say around the traps, “happy felting”!

Nick, glad to hear you've tried it :-) I imagine it would be easy to do things similar to bark painting with it. The barbed felting needles would make it easier to stick fibres in place and blend colours. “Hair of the dog” is an expression to take another drink (next morning), to ease a hangover. Confusedmile:

Yeah lazuli isn't very long haired lol...