Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hallmark Channel's first gay Christmas movie
[Image: ea972e975fc5edc1dac0ca8efb099788.png&qua...tend=white]

Hallmark has released its first gay Christmas movie just in time for the holiday season, with the channel promising its 'most diverse lineup' amid the release of their 40 new films.

The flick, titled The Christmas House, also stars a familiar face - Jonathan Bennett (aka Mean Girls' Aaron Samuels) as Brandon, who's trying to adopt a baby with his husband Jake, played by Brad Harder.

Speaking of his numerous appearances in Hallmark films, Bennett said he had 'tears well' in his eyes after learning the film would be featuring a gay storyline.

"I've played straight characters in Hallmark movies for years now," Bennett told Refinery29.

"I've told their stories so many times that it was nice to be able to tell a story that felt more authentically me."

[Image: 68c5c3125fc52a7adac0edc0a9472815.png&qua...tend=white]

Bennett added that upon learning that he nabbed the role in The Christmas House, he asked about further plot details, not yet knowing it would be the channel's first LGBTQ Christmas film.

"I asked them, 'What's the name of my [girlfriend]?'... They said, 'Jake.' And my jaw hit the floor. And I think I had tears well in my eyes, I was so excited," he said.

"Many of the gay members of the crew came up to us and said that they've worked on a lot of Hallmark movies and to have representation like this for the first time was very special.

"It feels like I'm a part of progress."

The new lineup is a part of Hallmark's Countdown to Christmas program, which kicked off on October 24.

It comes following backlash last year after the Hallmark Channel bowed to pressure to pull an ad showing a same sex couple kissing, before reinstating the commercial.

Now, they look to have begun taking representation in a positive direction.

Bennett added: "What I think Hallmark Channel has done so well is they really have taken a step back and looked at representation and what that means to their viewers, what that means to their employees, what that means to the world.

"And they really put their money where their mouth is and are are stepping up and making sure that that holiday table is bigger than it's ever been before and making sure that the holiday table has a seat for everyone."
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

I watched it, and liked it.

Smile

There are two more coming up this month, but not on the Hallmark network.

I talked about them here.

https://gayspeak.com/Thread-Don-we-now-o...day-movies
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!
[-] The following 1 member Likes CellarDweller's post:
  • andy

Thanks Chuck @CellarDweller will give it a go soon! Wink
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.