Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haunted Houses
To the sceptic no proof is ever enough, but to the believer no proof is necessary.

Unfortunately there are many people who claim to have experienced spirit activity or to have abilities in this area that they simply do not. These people are either suffering from low conditions of self-worth and say these things to boos their ego and make themselves appear more interesting, they really do believe it of themselves but they're sadly deluded or they're on the make financially.

There was a very famous British Psychic Medium from Liverpool who appeared on "Most Haunted" who was apparently exposed as a fraud by the shows historian who made up a spirits name from an anagram that stated that the medium was a fake. The medium not only picked up on the name but had a conversation with it.

I've read the guys books and watched him on TV and found him not altogether convincing. If I walk through a building it wouldn't take much imagination to come up with a spirit dressed in the correct clothing for the period. That only I could see and interact with this spirit makes it impossible for anyone to challenge me.

Now whenever I see this guy on TV I find my self spectacularly unconvinced.

8 years ago, the day before my mums funeral, I was driving to Wales with my brother who told me that he had seen my grandmother on the landing of my grandparents house in the months after her death. He said he didn't say anything at the time because he didn't think anyone would believe him. That sort of makes sense - for him/about him.

Personally, I believe that the essence of what makes us us, the soul, spirit, personality, ego, anima, the personality or whatever, continues to exist after the physical body has ceased to function, after chemical reaction in the cells has ceased and electrical activity in the heart and brain has stopped.

I further believe that we go on to exist in a state of existence in which nothing and nobody can ever harm us again and that we will live in this state with all those we have loved, lost and grieved for, including our pets.

If there is no such thing as a life after death, it doesn't matter because we wont be cognitive of the fact.

Simples!

yes, i stayed in a haunted house and a haunted island.

the house was an asylum that was turned into an adventure centre. i was there for a course with a few people, we where the only people staying there that weekend. we where outside talking and i realised i left my phone inside and went to get it. no one else was inside, just me as i went up there spiral stairs to the first floor i thought i heard a creek. i started walking down to my room the floors made alot of noise. as i was about to turn and go in my room, i saw someone behind me in the mirror at the end of the hall.
it was a woman in white i turned around and there was no one there. it was a straight hall with no rooms to go into. she just vanished. but i never got scared she seemed peaceful. i felt safe and watched on that trip.

the trip to the island was weird. we camped there for three days, there was a destroyed house in the centre that was a landlord house. the is a few tragic storys connected to the island the first is about when the island was on fire, the landlord came back and saw the fire and ran to save his family. but on the way up a tree fell on his leg, it was to big for him to move so he cut off his leg with a axe he carried. and he started for the house using the axe as a support, but he didn't make it.
it was said u can here him running to the house and the thuding of the axe and we could here it one night
the other story was about a poor girl who drowned when a family was visiting for the funeral.
she appeared in some photos we took, this little small white face of a young girl of six or seven. scared all the girls senseless.

Ive always wanted to go on a haunted vacation. Stay in haunted houses, castles, hotels, hospitals, etc....
Ive never had the money to do that. But if I ever do....it will be fun.

I looked up the most haunted places in the world once, and you would think it would be in Europe, right?
Well, it is in the Oregon/Washington part of the USA. Hundreds of listings of haunted places, all of which are mostly clinics, hospitals, orphanages, and places like that.

All this crap you see on TV is prefabricated FOR the show.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Ive always wanted to go on a haunted vacation. Stay in haunted houses, castles, hotels, hospitals, etc....
Ive never had the money to do that. But if I ever do....it will be fun.

I looked up the most haunted places in the world once, and you would think it would be in Europe, right?
Well, it is in the Oregon/Washington part of the USA. Hundreds of listings of haunted places, all of which are mostly clinics, hospitals, orphanages, and places like that.

All this crap you see on TV is prefabricated FOR the show.

I actually live in Oregon and I know of quite a few haunted places.

With the Oregon Trail and the settlers here and whatnot, there's a lot of history and a lot of tragedies connected to that. I have a friend who grew up on Mt. Hood and there's an old camp up there that pioneers would stay at— it's just a few old cabins and a mess hall, but there's bodies buried all around it and lots of people died there. It's supposed to be haunted, although I've never been there. It's closed to the public and a historical society has been working on it for years. There's also a historical point a few miles from there called Laurel Hill where they would hoist conestoga wagons up (it's a rocky hill and is at times near-vertical), and there are still rope marks on the tree trunks. Multiple people died there because the ropes would sometimes fail and the wagons would come tumbling down the cliff. I've been there before and it's a really strange place— eerie more than anything.

Cathedral Park in Portland is supposed to be haunted too. I love that park, it's beautiful and sits right under the St. Johns bridge, but in the 1940s it was an undeveloped area and was just brush and forest; a man kidnapped and held a 15 year old girl captive down there for several days before murdering her. I've heard stories of the police being called there at night because people hear screaming and think something's going on, but there's never anything there. I've never experienced anything there firsthand, but I've only gone there in the daytime.

There's also Edgefield, which is an old power station that's owned by McMenamins and is now a hotel/restaurant/concert venue. It was a county poor house at the turn of the century and is supposed to be extremely haunted. I've been there a couple of times. I was there once with a friend in the restaurant, and had to go pee so I went to the bathrooms down the hall in the hotel hallway. They're community bathrooms with old rows of wooden shower stalls, which is weird enough. But I went in there alone to go pee and the bathroom was empty, and I got this electric feeling pulsating through my body, and the hair on my arms stood up and got shivers. It felt like someone was standing in there with me. It scared me so bad I actually ran out.

My grandparents are from LaGrande, in Eastern Oregon, and there's this old hospital out there called Hot Lake. It was on the Scariest Places on Earth TV show about ten years ago or so. It was a resort in the early 1900s and is surrounded by hot springs. It was a multitude of other things throughout the century, including a mental asylum, nursing home, and hospital. Half of the building burned down around 1920 or so too. It's been renovated within the past 5 years or so and is a hotel now, but I remember driving by it as a kid when it was abandoned and it was the scariest place I'd ever seen in my life, especially at night in the fall/winter because the steam from the lake would spill over the highway and the whole place was shrouded in it. That place has a truly horrendous history— medical experiments, lobotomies, the fire; apparently a surgeon killed himself in the operating room on the far corner of the building, and a nurse fell into the lake and was scalded to death. The new owners had it open to the public when they were doing renovations a few years back so I got to go inside, and you could definitely feel weird energy there. I legitimately felt uncomfortable. I got to go into that operating room too— YIKES. Crazy place.

But yeah, I believe in the paranormal. I don't know how to explain it, but there's weird shit that happens. I honestly believe that when bad things happen in places, it leaves an impression on them, and that energy stays there. Certain places make people uncomfortable for a reason— it's not random.

I've never experienced anything that could be described as 'paranormal' but I find these subjects fascinating and I try to keep an open mind about them.

I would never try to contact the dead or summon spirits, though. Just leave the dead alone. I've met a couple of people that claim to have talked to the dead and it did them no good whatsoever.

I guess the most famous haunted house in the world is Amityville in the US. There's a great documentary on the case called My Amityville Horror. I strongly recommend it, even if you don't believe in the paranormal.

MisterLove Wrote:I guess the most famous haunted house in the world is Amityville in the US. There's a great documentary on the case called My Amityville Horror. I strongly recommend it, even if you don't believe in the paranormal.

I just watched that on Netflix a couple days ago

Been to one back in elementary school and in my university. It's fun! Well, aside from few screaming here and there... I remember that in Canada's Wonderland haunted night, someone will chase you with a real chainsaw at some point. Also, there are a lot of ghost spots in Japan, which is probably really haunted..

I have experienced things that other people consider "paranormal", but they could always be explained.
Either a cold draft, my imagination, tricks of light and shadow, or sounds by animals or creaking architecture that I had never heard before.