Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
He's 16, I'm 24. Too young?
Hey everyone. This is my very first post, I pretty much just signed up because I need some advice and I wasn't sure where to go. (This seems like a great forum, though, so I'll probably stick around a little longer.)

Right. About six weeks ago I went to a party at a friend's place. I saw this guy I found to be very, very attractive. We ended up talking, and it turned out besides being extremely good-looking, he was also friendly, intelligent, funny, interesting, and so easy to talk with. It was like we just instantly clicked. We literally talked and laughed for hours, and ended up exchanging numbers. He'd told me he was 18, which I thought was a bit young, but considering he seemed mature for his age and we connected so well, I didn't really have a problem with it. He texted me that same night saying he'd had a great time and was glad him and I had met, and I said the same.

From that point on we started texting more and more, and after a week of texting we met up again in real life. We went for a coffee and then to this museum both him and me had never been to before. It was a lot of fun, and we got to know each other better. It was just the perfect first date (we'd kind of agreed it was a date Smile). I found out he shared a lot of my interests, and even with a sober mind (I'd been a little tipsy at the party), I really liked him and the talking just came naturally.

Anyway, we kept texting a lot, and met up two more times; first dinner and a movie, then a couple days later we went cliff diving/outdoor swimming (so much fun! haha). It all went great, and I felt really good about it. And so did he.

On to the problem. Just when I thought everything was going great, he texted me yesterday morning saying there was something he hadn't been honest about, but he was afraid telling the truth would scare me away. Obviously I wanted to know what it was, so I assured him whatever it was it would probably be fine. He then confessed to me that he'd lied about his age, and he was actually 16 (his birthday's in January).

I don't know what to do now. I'm 24, he's 16. I feel ridiculous even writing this; I sound like an old freak going after a boy. But then when I think about the connection he and I have, and the way he makes me feel, I think to myself he's not an average 16 year old. I just really felt like this was going somewhere. He's such an amazing guy. I can't look at this objectively, so I'm asking you guys to please give me your honest opinions.

I realize 16 is young. But I really like this guy, and he's mature for his age. I just don't know anymore.

I could really use some honest opinions. Thanks.

lying about his age the first time doesn't sound all that mature to me ...

Well I guess you have to ask yourself do you want to date a child. Because that's what he is.

Well, if he really is 16 then he's legal in Indiana, which is a good start. But do you know if he is 16? He lied about it once. You'd better make very sure....

*looks at thread title" Yes yes, hell yes... *looks at the profile picture* Well hello there, I'm 17 xD

well I can only tell you what I think I would do in that situation. If I felt like I had a real connection with him I would continue seeing him with a few stipulations. The first being no sex til he turns 18. I dont care how fabulous they are, my ass wouldnt be sitting in jail over some vindictive 16 year old's parents gay rage just because we couldnt keep our willies in our pants for a couple of years. I dunno what the age of consent is in Indiana but for me personally I wouldnt have sex with anyone under 18 just as a good rule of thumb. Even then some of them wouldnt be emotionally ready for a relationship.

Thast something else you need to watch out for. Yes he might seem like an adult and much older than his years reflect but you are still dealing with a growing child. His emotions likely havent fully matured and he could be totally different when they are matured. Its just something to watch out for.

Another thing you have to consider is are you his first serious relationship? Youre 24, youre at an age where people might be starting to look to have a serious long term relationship. He's 16 and no matter how mature he might act I just dunno if anyone that young could handle a grown up relationship. Does he play sports? Is he gonna throw a temper tantrum if you cant make it to his "big game?" Also if you are his first long term relationship some guys can be VERY VERY clingy to the first person they are in a relationship with. Combined with his age thats a recipe for disaster if things turn sour.

I dunno personally if I would pursue it. From an outsider's perspective looking inward it seems like youd be walking into a minefield on roller skates but really only you know how you feel so only you know if you can pursue this relationship or not.

if he is of legal age go for it. Talk to him directly about it so there is no mistake. get discrete legal advice from a professional, he's got parents.
it is on the bad side of an acceptable 10 year range so
Please be the kind, generous, tolerant one in the relationship. You are the lead in the relationship that is let him take you by the hand and pull you along.

pellaz Wrote:if he is of legal age go for it. Talk to him directly about it so there is no mistake.

Please be the kind, generous, tolerant one in the relationship. You are the lead in the relationship that is let him take you by the hand and pull you along.

I absolutly agree, both of you are happy, what else is there?

He apologised, who does not make errors?

At my end of the age thingie, I would take off whatever I could get away with!

He is yours to have and to hold,

you lucky man.

Trial by error

trialbyerror Wrote:I absolutly agree, both of you are happy, what else is there?

He apologised, who does not make errors?

adding two years to your age to make yourself an adult rather than a child isn't an error . it's an outright lie.

megumidesu Wrote:adding two years to your age to make yourself an adult rather than a child isn't an error . it's an outright lie.

The error, is in making that mistake of "Lying"
He is young he is bound to make jugement erors,
Believe me, I, being the younger in my LTR made many...
What did my "mutt" do?
Finger to his glasses to push them up his nose and one word
"Muzzeltov"
I had 17 wonderful years
Life is not about black & white, there is a whole lot of grey in-between
Be magmanious enough to accept an apology

Trial