Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
princealbertofb Wrote:As a resident of Montreal, do you speak French? It's funny that you were from Hong Kong. My grandpa was born in Xiang Gang all those years ago, but he was not oriental. At the time Xiang Gang was British administered Hong Kong. Also funny that being a Scot, our family clan was the Gordon clan (your handle name). Lastly, my brother now lives in Canada as you do, although born in France originally. Are we connected, do you think?
Oh hey. I just started learning French. The verb conjugation thing is driving me crazy. So do you live i Montreal now? :-D

Welcome Gordon Smile

Welcome here, Gordon.

Good luck with the French. Montreal is an amazing city!
I bid NO Trump!

GordonNg Wrote:Oh hey. I just started learning French. The verb conjugation thing is driving me crazy. So do you live i Montreal now? :-D
[MENTION=23466]GordonNg[/MENTION], no I don't live in Montreal, I never lived in Canada. I live in France close to Geneva in Switzerland.

GordonNg Wrote:Oh hey. I just started learning French. The verb conjugation thing is driving me crazy. So do you live i Montreal now? :-D

Yes, I understand, French conjugations are quite tricky, especially the subjunctive and the third group of verbs, which, unfortunately, are the most common, just as irregular verbs are the most commonly used in English. What can we do about it?

People usually try to remember a lot of rules when studying a new language. Well in my case, I learnt English in a different way. I didn't give a sh_t about those rules. I learnt English by reading and copying other people's writings. And then here I am. (I hope my English is not very bad..) So I think that we should just recite everything without questioning. The more you question, the more difficult you will find. I think I will just recite a French verb (in different tenses) every day. Little drops of water make a mighty ocean, right? :-D

Hello, Gordon! Glad to have you on here with us!