Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
YoungPup Wrote:... there is no such thing as a famous living poet. lol...
Really? That's a provocative statement. What do you mean by "famous"?

Celebrity culture may have pushed poets down the list of the world's most-famous, but there is a lot going on - just maybe not in our own backyards? There are living poets whose words have entered the popular consciousness in a significant way. There are many popular poets, still living and working, some of whom may write fairly unremarkably, but whose life and work has had some influence on, or given pleasure to, many. There are poets alive whose work has inspired and strengthened social change. There are poets who have written works of incredible complexity and beauty that stand alongside the achievements of earlier generations. There are poets who deliver their poetry through other media, such as song.

Vikram Seth, Seamus Heaney, Carol Ann Duffy, Andrew Motion, Benjamin Zephaniah, Jenny Joseph, John Agard, John Cooper Clarke, Roger McGough, even Pam Ayres ... all names of people still living who are known in the UK for their poetry (even <gasp> some of whom live outside the UK). That sounds like fame to me. Wink

marshlander Wrote:Really? That's a provocative statement. What do you mean by "famous"?

Celebrity culture may have pushed poets down the list of the world's most-famous, but there is a lot going on - just maybe not in our own backyards? There are living poets whose words have entered the popular consciousness in a significant way. There are many popular poets, still living and working, some of whom may write fairly unremarkably, but whose life and work has had some influence on, or given pleasure to, many. There are poets alive whose work has inspired and strengthened social change. There are poets who have written works of incredible complexity and beauty that stand alongside the achievements of earlier generations. There are poets who deliver their poetry through other media, such as song.

Vikram Seth, Seamus Heaney, Carol Ann Duffy, Andrew Motion, Benjamin Zephaniah, Jenny Joseph, John Agard, John Cooper Clarke, Roger McGough, even Pam Ayres ... all names of people still living who are known in the UK for their poetry (even <gasp> some of whom live outside the UK). That sounds like fame to me. Wink

Hmm, well I would like to be in a category with those people. Yup *nods* That's what I want. Screw the money, I want to inspire people and to be known.

YoungPup Wrote:Hmm, well I would like to be in a category with those people. Yup *nods* That's what I want. Screw the money, I want to inspire people and to be known.

Nothing like modest ambitionWink Although poetry is definitely a path to inspiring people and, occasionally, to fame I can assure you that it is not a road paved in gold.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I don't need gold if I have fans Smile I could be the famousest fairy and be happy working at the nearest Abercrombie

If Charles Ives could combine a lifetime's working in insurance with being an innovative composer, I'm sure you are in with a chance Wink

[COLOR="Purple"]Welcome Dallas. Sorry this is a bit late Wavey

I feel that if you push yourself as far as possible in your art of choice then you have accomplished everything.

Getting noticed (and gold) is just icing on the cake, imho.[/COLOR]

fjp999 Wrote:Welcome Dallas. Sorry this is a bit late Wavey

I feel that if you push yourself as far as possible in your art of choice then you have accomplished everything.

Getting noticed (and gold) is just icing on the cake, imho.

I totally agree.
BTW I am curious about this site. When is it the most active? Well EST standards. Because I would love to talk to people, but it hardly seems like anyone is ever online! In all honesty, I joined this site because I have no gay friends besides my boyfriend.
PS I love the variety of smileys here! yay!Invasion

YoungPup Wrote:BTW I am curious about this site. When is it the most active? Well EST standards. Because I would love to talk to people, but it hardly seems like anyone is ever online! In all honesty, I joined this site because I have no gay friends besides my boyfriend.

The chat room is rather hit and miss as to whether anyone is there. As far as I can tell (and I could well be wrong) the best time is the late evening UK time, particularly Fridays and Saturdays. So in terms of EST that would be roughly 3pm-ish. You can still become friends people by forum discussions, not just live chat. Anyway, your not the only guy in your position, the great majority of all my friends in real life and all the close ones are straight.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

[COLOR="Purple"]The smilies are fun Twak have you found that you can pick your top (20???) and have them at your side?

My life is so mad right now that I am multi-tasking like mad whenever I am on the computer/this site.

The chat room is great fun but you really have to pay attention if there is more than one person. Things go by pretty quickly sometimes... and I dont really love the chat platform used here.

There have been different times when a member has pushed a date for chats. You could try doing that. Announce a chat in two weeks time. Find out if folk want a Fri, Sat, or Sun and maybe do a poll for times and days...

In previous set calendar chats there have been nearly 20 members in the chat rooms.[/COLOR]

I can't seem to even FIND chat lol.Poke2