Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
[quote=Ian]Thanks for all the introduction, guys.

Pip- what a relief there's another human being who has seen Watership Down. I'm usually the one to introduce friends to it... such a beautiful film. And hey- intellectualizing about plays and literature can be just as fun as producing them! Any favorites?

busseyinc- thank you! you were just in Manhattan?? Where are you now? Were you there for school?[

Not school I was visting nyc just because it was a boring day so I decide to go to nyc and go to coney island... I'm in Washington DC that's where I live

Ian Wrote:We do seem to be on the same wavelengths...

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof may be my favorite play... though I've sadly never seen it live and the movie is just... well... a massacre of the original piece, while using some of the most beautiful actors in all existence (so sad when Liz Taylor died... Sad ). I just saw a T Williams play on broadway in NYC, The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore, starring Olympia Dukkakis... probably one of the strangest plays I've ever seen, not what I'd expect from T Williams.

Did you study dramatic literature or is it simply a hobby?

I've never seen it live either. Glass Menagerie is the only Williams play I've had the pleasure to see. Williams is fairly popular, but English language theater in general is hard to come by in Montreal.

The Cat on a Hot Tin Roof movie works well as a movie, but ya it does sadly bowdlerize the play. I don't know The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore, I had to look it up, apparently it got very poor reviews during its original run on Broadway.

I still study literature, not specifically dramatic literature though. I'm thinking of applying to grad school at the moment. I came to it a little bit later in life than most, but 23 isn't too old for school, :p. At least, I hope not.

jbrowder24 Wrote:Welcome Ian! Jealous you are close enough to experience some theatre. Writing is a bit of a hobby here as well (did study it but more communications/marketing/journalism writing then dramatic, but sometimes wish I'd done the other). And I too have seen Watership Down... I actually rented it due to it being referenced on Lost lol. Only have seen the movie of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof but have heard things 'changed', still some good acting though as you said. Anyway welcome and good luck with your creative endeavors and acting Smile

jbrowder- happy to hear of another person watching Watership Down... it's okay that you heard of it from Lost. I USED to love Lost, but I wasn't a fan of how it ended... I suppose that's a conversation for another topic! As to the genres of writing... writing is writing! Theatre's just a different business and group of readers. Write anything for fun? As to the movie... uh YEAH things changed! In the movie Brick takes back Maggie and proves his heterosexuality, and in the play Brick just gets drunk and continues to ignore her (probs gay).

OrphanPip Wrote:I've never seen it live either. Glass Menagerie is the only Williams play I've had the pleasure to see. Williams is fairly popular, but English language theater in general is hard to come by in Montreal.

The Cat on a Hot Tin Roof movie works well as a movie, but ya it does sadly bowdlerize the play. I don't know The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore, I had to look it up, apparently it got very poor reviews during its original run on Broadway.

I still study literature, not specifically dramatic literature though. I'm thinking of applying to grad school at the moment. I came to it a little bit later in life than most, but 23 isn't too old for school, :p. At least, I hope not.

I loved seeing the Glass Menagerie live too... luckily on broadway last year... I've never been to Montreal, but I imagine the theatre is still incredible, even if you can't understand every word!

I'm not surprised Milk Train got bad reviews... it was a little convoluted and random, but still very entertaining! I also think that modern audiences are still uncomfortable with an attractive young man having sex with both an older man and an elderly woman on her death bed.

Where are you thinking of applying to graduate school??! I'm in the same process (although I'm only 20, and just going into my last year of undergrad...)

Ian Wrote:I loved seeing the Glass Menagerie live too... luckily on broadway last year... I've never been to Montreal, but I imagine the theatre is still incredible, even if you can't understand every word!

The theater scene is very active, but it's often very Quebec focused. It's no where near New York though.

Ian Wrote:I'm not surprised Milk Train got bad reviews... it was a little convoluted and random, but still very entertaining! I also think that modern audiences are still uncomfortable with an attractive young man having sex with both an older man and an elderly woman on her death bed.

Yes, I could see that not going over too well.

Ian Wrote:Where are you thinking of applying to graduate school??! I'm in the same process (although I'm only 20, and just going into my last year of undergrad...)

Probably one in Montreal or Eastern Ontario, for financial reasons. Specifically, I'm looking at UdM, who actually have a small but decent English literature department despite being a French university, and maybe Ottawa University. I would really like to get into Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, but it is very competitive.

Ya I'm going into my final year of my second undergrad degree. I have a bachelor of science that was a big waste of my time because I hated doing it, but I suppose if I give up on literature one day I can fall back on it to get a decent job lol.

OrphanPip Wrote:Ya I'm going into my final year of my second undergrad degree. I have a bachelor of science that was a big waste of my time because I hated doing it, but I suppose if I give up on literature one day I can fall back on it to get a decent job lol.

LOL- I find that funny because I will be graduated with a Bachelor of Science also- with a major in Theatre Arts.... ;-)

And that's silly of you to go to grad school there... come to New York!

hey ian welcome i write poetry too you seem like a nice guy hope you enjoy gs

enjoy your stayConfusedmile:

Ian Wrote:LOL- I find that funny because I will be graduated with a Bachelor of Science also- with a major in Theatre Arts.... ;-)

And that's silly of you to go to grad school there... come to New York!

If I had deep pockets I'd consider it lol.

Thank you for the welcome, toomuch45! And for the picture comment!

Pip, (BTW just realized the Great Expectations reference... can't believe it took this long), I know what you mean. Hence I'm ranking in 22 credits a semester in order to graduate a year early! What are your degrees in, exactly? And what do you want out of grad school? Would you want to teach?

My BS is in microbiology and immunology. My BA is honours English literature and political science.

I really would like to teach. If I don't get in I'd like to try for teacher certification for high school. I might not go on to PhD though. In the Quebec school system we have a sort of 2 year pre-university college system (a bit like sixth form colleges in the UK) and you need a masters to teach at them. I don't like to plan too far into the future though.

Edit: Most people don't get the Great Expectations reference at all, so don't worry about it lol.

your very welcome