Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Ian Wrote:Pip- okay I feel better about the reference... lol. That's nice that you want to teach- I am actually in the same boat, looking to get my masters for that very reason. But I would not want to do secondary education, at least not in a public school... This Summer I actually have an internship in Rochester, NY, teaching and assistant teaching acting masterclasses. Should be fun!

...Microbiology and Immunology... practical things I hope? You must know some things about health!! Would you want to teach that at all? My best friend goes to Clarkson University for Microbiology, he's studying genetics.

Maybe I'd teach high school science, but that's in the future if I go down that path. Right now I'm concentrating on finishing the BA and applying to MA programs. And that does sound like fun, should be a good use of your summer.

The site is pretty active around 6-10 I think, which is when members from the US East and the UK are both on. I'm usually more active late at night though.

My activity varies and I rarely go on the chat; I just am off and up too much, multi-tasking etc. Just catching up on a couple things now in fact and wanted to say I also was not a fan of how Lost ended, despite being an overall fan of the show Smile

jbrowder24 Wrote:wanted to say I also was not a fan of how Lost ended, despite being an overall fan of the show Smile

Thank GOD! I feel like there has been a schism between Lost fans, pitting those who liked the ending against those who did not.

Pip- I am very excited for it. Would you be applying for a masters degree pertaining to science or literature, then? Would you not be interested in teaching English, if that's your real passion?

Ian Wrote:Pip- I am very excited for it. Would you be applying for a masters degree pertaining to science or literature, then? Would you not be interested in teaching English, if that's your real passion?

Definitely pertaining to literature, I'd like to continue my studies in Restoration and 18th century drama, or in 17th and 18th century poetry.

Awesome! Keep me in mind visually while you're reading... If you come across a character I should look at. I'm always looking for new pieces to study, scenes and especially monologues. I'm going to need at least 4 new solid monologues for my MFA program auditions.

Hi Ian. I am new jsut like you in forum. i dont know who said it but under this thread it was said that watership down is a great movie. So i watched it today and at the end i was like

Stan: OMG!! They killed bunnies :mad::mad::mad:
Kyle:You bast.rds!!!! Devil3Devil3

i think it uses too much political social and religious symbols for a kid to understand. But still the kids ( of 1978) watched it for the animation as a new home finding adventure. (probably for violance and blood too considiring how little they have these two on TV on those years:biggrinSmile Although i liked the movie i have this feeling that it isnt a great adoptation. Because the episodes in the film was kinda fast. Definetly going to read the book.

Cain Wrote:i think it uses too much political social and religious symbols for a kid to understand. But still the kids ( of 1978) watched it for the animation as a new home finding adventure. (probably for violance and blood too considiring how little they have these two on TV on those years:biggrinSmile Although i liked the movie i have this feeling that it isnt a great adoptation. Because the episodes in the film was kinda fast. Definetly going to read the book.

Hi Cain, nice to meet ya.

Funny you say that. I must have watched it when I was 4 or 5... I remember not being afraid of the blood and gore, but being mostly terrified of the sun god, Frith, in the opening sequence, and then the most upsetting part was the rabbits being buried alive... what gruesome imagery. I think though, even at that age, I still understood the basic theme of taking care of the Earth and respecting all living things, which is the center ideal of PETA and the social groups that Richard Adams supports. I will agree it was very fast paced, but it was the 70s and adult animation, so you can't imagine mainstream adults to appreciate it enough to want to sit through it much longer, so I think the pace is still appropriate.

If you enjoyed that, you should also watch Plague Dogs, based on another Adams book. It's the same voice and animation team as Watership Down, but the color scheme is much darker and the storytelling (while more political) is much more emotionally jarring.

I adore it for John Hubley's little primitivist style section at the beginning, and Rosen's wonderful use of watercolour backgrounds throughout. Some critics think the dedication to verisimilitude that Rosen put into it takes away from the film, but I think it's just so unique and unusual for animation that it's really quite astounding. He did something very similar with Adam's The Plague Dogs, which is also very good, but even harder to watch than some sections of Watership Down. Plague Dogs is a lot more political though, but as someone who has worked in the veterinary field and in animal rescue shelters it addresses a theme close to my heart.

Forgot to say, welcome to the site!

Thanks for the welcome, Story! (what's with your name?)

And Cain, yes what Pip said about those pieces. I completely agree.

PS could anyone answer me how I can get a signature for my posts? I'm not sure if there is some sort of quota of posts I need, or if it's only for older members, or if I'm just missing the link of how to create one...