Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, I love Jesus
Hi and welcome to GS Smile

ok, I'll take the bait, and I really hope this won't turn ugly.
I come from an atheistic country, it never occurred to me that I should join your community, I don't feel like I "need to" to have a good life.

I have nobody to ask, maybe you would be willing to explain it to me. WHY does the Church have such a big problem with gay people?

Thanks

ReasonableJeff Wrote:As I Christian, I am convinced that life is more fulfilling in a relationship with Jesus. It would be selfish and uncaring of me not to share that joy.

I have a problem with this. Life is more fulfulling for YOU in a relationship with Jesus. Saying an open statement like that is basically telling the rest of us that our lives arent fulfilling, and people can live fulfilling lives their own way that don't have to be through any religious teachings. It would be more selfish of you if you imposed your views onto other people who don't follow your way of life, to "share the joy" could be seen as a way to impose those views on others too.

Personally I spend lots of time within the confines of my own family and that gives me one hell of a fulfilling feeling. I don't need to share that with others, they get their own fulfillments their own ways.

ReasonableJeff Wrote:Hey Marc,

I get what you're saying. However, the Christians that keep it behind closed doors are the ones that don't give a hoot about you.

As I Christian, I am convinced that life is more fulfilling in a relationship with Jesus. It would be selfish and uncaring of me not to share that joy.

It's not that I'm trying to force you to do anything....sort of like a great sandwich. If I eat a great sandwich, I'm going to tell all of my friends how good it is and where to buy it at...except instead of a sandwich it's the most fulfilling relationship that you could ever experience.

I understand what you're saying, and if I had an awesome sandwhich I would probably wanna tell people about it. But what happens when the person says, "I don't like sandwhiches, I'm more of a hot dog person."

*On a side note, I only ask things out of curiosity and to understand exactly where you're coming from. I perfer giving people that benefit of the doubt and will assume no ill-intentions unless given a good enough reason by my own standards to think so.

ReasonableJeff Wrote:Hey Marc,

I get what you're saying. However, the Christians that keep it behind closed doors are the ones that don't give a hoot about you.

As I Christian, I am convinced that life is more fulfilling in a relationship with Jesus. It would be selfish and uncaring of me not to share that joy.

It's not that I'm trying to force you to do anything....sort of like a great sandwich. If I eat a great sandwich, I'm going to tell all of my friends how good it is and where to buy it at...except instead of a sandwich it's the most fulfilling relationship that you could ever experience.

I suppose thats reasonable. Like I said before, I have no problem with Christians or Christianity for that matter. Just the Christians that are hypocritical and try to judge their fellow man. You dont seem like that type which is great.

ReasonableJeff Wrote:As I Christian, I am convinced that life is more fulfilling in a relationship with Jesus. It would be selfish and uncaring of me not to share that joy.

Just out of curiosity, how would you feel about someone promoting Scientology to you for the same reason? Or even Jehovah's Witnesses (who are Christian, but if you're not JW then you're not the right kind of Christian)?

Or drugs? Plenty of people say things from pot to shrooms make us happier, better people (Steve Kubby is one example who even thinks God gave us shrooms to be happy and know Him better, that shrooms are "mana from heaven" and that psychedelic drugs cured his cancer, at least for awhile). Granted, many have lives that turn to crap, but that's just as true of those who embrace Christianity (including in giving up all their money to scam artists thumping a Bible).

And what would you tell those gay teens who feel suicidal because they feel God hates them? They certainly don't know much joy in their religion. It would be nice to know what to say to them.

welcome, Nothing wrong with people being religious, its just the church and unwanted preaching of religion that can be problematic

Nick9 Wrote:Hi and welcome to GS Smile

ok, I'll take the bait, and I really hope this won't turn ugly.
I come from an atheistic country, it never occurred to me that I should join your community, I don't feel like I "need to" to have a good life.

I have nobody to ask, maybe you would be willing to explain it to me. WHY does the Church have such a big problem with gay people?

Thanks

Hello Nick,

Thanks for being willing to ask. I won't be able to answer on behalf of everyone but I can give you my best guess. I think it's a combination of things....

First, people like to be able to feel safe while critiquing others. Most people aren't gay so hetero's can "safely" criticize them without fear of having to evaluate their own faults because same sex attraction isn't something that they struggle with.

Secondly, people are threatened by change and people that are different than themselves. Being around gay people means that straight families have to embrace change in some regard.

Third, people are terrible and enjoy pointing out others faults.

I believe the church has a problem with gay people for all the above reasons. In the Bible homosexuality is talked about as a sin along with a ton of other behaviors and actions that we all are guilty of...I'm sorry to say though that the common "church-goer" views this one sin as unacceptable while all of the other sins that they struggle with are viewed as "acceptable."

That's my two cents. Hope that helps.

Corsac Wrote:I have a problem with this. Life is more fulfulling for YOU in a relationship with Jesus. Saying an open statement like that is basically telling the rest of us that our lives arent fulfilling, and people can live fulfilling lives their own way that don't have to be through any religious teachings. It would be more selfish of you if you imposed your views onto other people who don't follow your way of life, to "share the joy" could be seen as a way to impose those views on others too.

Personally I spend lots of time within the confines of my own family and that gives me one hell of a fulfilling feeling. I don't need to share that with others, they get their own fulfillments their own ways.

I'm sorry, perhaps I could have worded it better. I didn't mean to convey that you guys (and gals) aren't living fulfilling lives. I realize that everyone has their own interests and fulfillments in life......however, I do honestly believe that no matter how great your life is right now or how happy you are....you could be happier or more fulfilled in Jesus.

spencer Wrote:I understand what you're saying, and if I had an awesome sandwhich I would probably wanna tell people about it. But what happens when the person says, "I don't like sandwhiches, I'm more of a hot dog person."

I don't believe that everyone will accept Jesus, however, I still would like to tell them about Him and possibly clear away any misconceptions regarding what it means to really be a Christian.

spencer Wrote:*On a side note, I only ask things out of curiosity and to understand exactly where you're coming from. I perfer giving people that benefit of the doubt and will assume no ill-intentions unless given a good enough reason by my own standards to think so.

Thanks Spencer, I appreciate that =D

pellaz Wrote:CrucifiedCrucifiedCrucifiedCrucifiedCrucifiedCrucifiedCrucifiedCrucified
phuck; another straight man feeling entitled to give us gays religion

CrucifiedCrucifiedCrucifiedCrucifiedCrucifiedCrucifiedCrucifiedCrucified

Is that an actual smilie? I am pretty sure I don't like that.