Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, everyone!
In retrospect, I should have made this post first, so as to not seem so abrupt, but the inspiration to dive into the deep end struck. Anyway, my name is Vincent, and I hope to become a part of this vibrant community. From my admittedly brief perusal, the members seemed more interested in assistance than speculation/ridicule. That is very rare in these lands of the Internet, and I wanted to say thankyou, from the bottom of my heart, for having a heart =]

I'm 22, I love to read High/Epic Fantasy (assorted flavors of elf, magic, dragons- that kind of thing), and articles concerning technology on various websites. I'm a hobbyist PC builder . . . when I have the cash to be. I'm quite self conscious and shy in person, but the Internet does afford one a sense of freedom. Aaand I've run out of things to say.

Hope to talk to many interesting individuals, and perhaps pick myself up from this slump!

welcome to gs

Hi Vincent welcome to Gayspeak. Smile

Welcome! Wavey

Hello Vincent make yourself at home Welcome

Hey! I am new too! I myself love the epic fantasy genre. Unfortunately I have lost touch with reading for a few years but, hey, its nice to know I am not the only one into it Smile Welcome! Mayhaps you could offer a fellow some book suggestions?

Welcome Vincent & Cody Confusedmile:

Thanks for the welcome =]

CodyH Wrote:Hey! I am new too! I myself love the epic fantasy genre. Unfortunately I have lost touch with reading for a few years but, hey, its nice to know I am not the only one into it Smile Welcome! Mayhaps you could offer a fellow some book suggestions?

Haha, woo, newbie buddies! I go through phases of reading, too; I end up burning myself out.
As for suggestions, I most certainly can! If you're looking to read some of the most convoluted and delightfully gruesome plot lines ever to grace the Earth, Steven Erikson is your man. His Epic series, "The Malazan Book of the Fallen," spans ten novels and hundreds of characters- all vying for their own varied and sometimes (oh, hell, ALL the time!) indistinct directives. These novels are thick with emotion, much of it flirting with social commentary; it can be, in my humble opinion, a little depressing. He paints a rather bleak picture of humanity.
That said, The Malazan Book of the Fallen is, without a doubt, my favorite series of novels. The plot line(s) is original in the most brutal ways possible; no characters are "safe," as some authors love to do. You will quickly find yourself falling deep into the war torn landscapes of Erikson's realm. It is a masterpiece.
Pick up Gardens of the Moon (the first novel), you wont regret it!

If you fancy a slightly more sci-fi series, Brian Lumley's "Necroscope" is top-notch. I didn't like sci-fi much before reading the Necroscope series, but it blends fantasy so seamlessly with the Science bits, that the whole thing simply melts like the smoothest mind chocolate. Delicious, vampire-flavored mind chocolate. Anyway, the main character of this series has the unique ability to commune with the dead, and thereby learn the secrets, inventions, and philosophy they've been ruminating on for however many years they've laid low. Is that not enough? Would vampires that don't follow conventional and boring cliches be enough to tempt you? Alternate realities . . . with Romani-style gypsies!?

Ask me about books and I can ramble on for hours. Often in nonsensical word salad =P

he3llo vincent,
Welcome to the forum matey and hope ya like it here Smile

Kindest regards

Zeon x

Hahaha thanks for the suggestions! I should try and hit the library to see if I can find them. Thanks a lot Smile Also again welcome!