Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Derby UK
Hello all members on this forum, I hope you all are doing well. I saw other member introducing themselves so I thought that I should do the same.

I am known as Jonathan here in the UK because a western name is always a lot easier for people to pronounce and remember. At first when people asked my name I always told them both my Chinese and English name. People always ask me how to pronounce my Chinese name and after a few attempts of trying to say my Chinese many of them gave up. When I started introducing myself only as Jonathan I had been asked occasionally by people why I have an European name and I should stick with my real name. At first I tried to explain but later I did't even bother answering that question any more. None of us were born with a name which was given after we were born. I guess we can have more than a name. There is a saying 'When in Rome do as Rome do' which was exactly what I did, giving myself an English name.

UK is almost completely the opposite of China in many areas i.e. their date format is Day - Month - Year and the Chinese one is: Year - Month - Day; their address format is Name - House Number - Street - City - Country - Country - Postcode and the Chinese one is the other way round; people here talk about sex, sexualities or express their love or affection very openly, in China sex is taboo especially for adults of older generations, couples don't say darling, love etc in public and parents don't say to their kids directly that they love them instead they do other things to express their love, buying them some new clothing, cooking them a lovely meal for example; in the UK when women are getting married their parents will need to see to many expenses of the weddings, in China the boys' parents will need to see to the costs of everything; in the UK young people like to treat themselves by buying nice things or travelling even if they will have to spend the whole week's wage or borrow a few from friends, in China people of similar age are probably married with a kid and they will have to take their spendings very seriously. I can go on and on. There's no perfect place to live in as we are always limited by something. In China many gay people would love to be able to get married but the date of same sex marriage getting legalised is still unknown. In the UK the law is already there however the majority people I've known around me don't seem to want to settle down with someone.

I am mostly a quiet person and extremely terrible at small talks. However when given a subject I never struggle to share my point of view on that matter. Maybe it's because I don't know anyone of similar interests or nature that I am quiet. I hope I will be able to get to know some minds alike in this forum.

By race, language, culture or country we have differences however by nature we all are humans and the desire to love and to be loved is the same. I hope all members in this forum will find what they want in 2016.

PS. Sorry for the long introduction.

Well Welcome to Gayspeak! I'm Nick and ill be your welcome buddy :3
I am the angles that hold and surround you

I am the demon you're afraid to meet

Welcome to the forum Jonathan, enjoy your stay here.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Welcome to GS Jonathan/what-ever-your-real-name-is

Welcome

Mandarin and, in general, Far East Asia languages have a bunch of sounds that are tricky to replicate for anyone not having grown up with it, so it's no surprise people won't pronounce your name all too well.

If it makes you more comfortable, sure, go by this new name, but don't give up on people just yet.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

1maxuk Wrote:...PS. Sorry for the long introduction.
No need to be. It was a great introduction. Educational, too. I didn't know about all those cultural differences. Very interesting.

Welcome to the forum! Wavey

Welcome to the forum Jonathan Smile. No need to apologise for a long introduction, it was an interesting read. Hope you enjoy your time here Smile

welcome to the forum
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Welcome to GS Smile
“Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”  [Image: 1f3a9.png]