Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Indiana
I've been a member since last October, but I've never really introduced myself. Hi, I'm Keith, I'm 50, male, bi/pansexual, closeted since 13, out last October to first person, denied my bisexuality for most of that time. Separated from wife last November, moved in with my 18yo bae/roommate. Moved him to his mothers in January for being a juvenile delinquent (and then turns out he's 17yo.) Oh, with the wife we are of the same mind that I don not want the marriage to continue, and we will start planning our divorce. This has been hardest on her, and our adopted 15 year old son.

Anyway, this is just by way of introducing me, I'm a Hoosier by choice at the moment and I'm proud of that. There is actually a lot of good LGBT history and friendly places here, Indianapolis being one of them.

I'm a classic liberal, libertarian kinda guy. Live and let me, just don't make me pay for it all. I think the federal government is way out of size for what was intended. I think money and politics corrupts people faster than sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll. I grew up in a tolerant family (words weren't used with any animosity,) in a tolerant religion (Luthran), in a fairly tolerant state (Connecticut.) I remember hearing about race riots all over the country, but also in state as well. I remember the gay news from New York. Womens rights. Solidarity with Poland, South African, Woodstock, et all... The Holocaust, the Killing Fields... fighting for freedom, anti-communism, democracy, equal rights, Christianity, Catholicism, Protestantism, Islam... talking about IRA bombings in 5th grade when I was 11.

All this fighting is doing us no good! We have to work together to live together. CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG

Treat others how you want to be treated, that's what I learned in church. That and Jesus Christ is da bomb... but we don't have to debate that. I think God loves everyone equally, and is really disappointed in those who disobey his will (whatever that is.) Revelations says everyone is saved in the end. So, I'll see everyone eventually whether I've made good choices or bad. I don't claim to know all about RELIGION, but Lutheranism teaches me that my relationship to God is one to one, no layers in between. All the trappings of religion are signs of respect. They aren't you being a good force in the world. I serve the Lord by helping others.

AND as a Christian I find a lot of rhetoric directed at Christians to be in very poor taste, juvenile, and having no place in public discourse. Nor do I condone calling others by derogatory terms, as individuals or a group (except commies.) I try to provide reasonable arguments for discussion and thought. I can play devils advocate on any issue, and will often do so if I think viewpoints are overlooked or marginalized.

I generally could care less what a person thinks, as long as they aren't harming others by their actions. Now, we can get into big philosophical debates about what constitutes harm and the implications of that in an imperfect society, but I'd rather the rubber hit the road so to speak.

My social life has certainly picked up since separating from my wife. I've been with 10 guys since then, had one 17 year old boyfriend for 6 weeks, and now have a 19 year old I'm letting crash with me. Don't know what type of relationship we're going to have, he's been busy with a bunch of drama in his life.

Well, kindy, that was some polemic there. Glad you could get it all out.

Next time you are downtown, stop by James Whitcomb Riley's statue and ask him to tell you about the Raggedy Man. It may help chill you out. Absorbing some Hoosier is good for the soul. By the way, my grandpa and I used to sit on the little wall in front of the courthouse and talk. Greenfield is a good place. I do hope Brandywine Creek still flows.

And welcome to GaySpeak. Hope you'll hang around and like it here.
I bid NO Trump!

As gay people have been bashed with religion and continue to be bashed...and God has been used as a weapon against us...I would not be preaching much on any gay site....especially in an introduction. It wouldn't even work well if you had been here for awhile.

Having said that....welcome.

As [MENTION=20933]LJay[/MENTION] suggested..chilling out isn't a bad idea...

I might have known it was another HOOSIER! :eek:

I swear, it's something in the water....

ETA: This HERE where I be from.

East Wrote:As gay people have been bashed with religion and continue to be bashed...and God has been used as a weapon against us...I would not be preaching much on any gay site....especially in an introduction. It wouldn't even work well if you had been here for awhile.

Having said that....welcome.

As [MENTION=20933]LJay[/MENTION] suggested..chilling out isn't a bad idea...

Amen!
I think we should get T shirts printed with your signature quote from Desmond Tutu printed on them...

Just want to say: WOW!
and
Welcome to the Forum Kindy Big Grin

Lots of love from Portugal

Hello and welcome to GS.Wavey

I have to agree with East. I would not normally bring it up in someone's intro thread, but since you already did, religion most certainly has a place in the discussion of gay rights and equality. In the U.S., almost without exception, the hate, the bigotry, the movement to remove the rights LGBT people already have, the movement to deny gays, lesbians, and the transgendered comes in the name of Christianity and there is almost not a day in the U.S. when we do not hear anti-gay rhetoric coming from a Christian leader or politician citing their Christians beliefs. There are many Christians that support lgbt equality, I know some of them, but rarely do I see them deliver their support with the same fervor as the anti-gay Christians. Those anti-gay, conservative Christians control the public conversation of lgbt rights from the religious viewpoint. When it is Christian belief that is used as a reason to deny marriage equality, when it is Christian belief that is used as a reason to not give legislated protection from discrimination in employment, housing, and services it is difficult to not discuss religion. When conservative Christians have already brought their religion into public discourse, I certainly can make their religious belief a part of my response. If I do not respond respectfully, that is just too damn bad because by the very nature of denying that I should have civil rights and be treated equally, they have already entered the discussion from a point of disrespect.

Welcome GS Keith Smile

Welcome friend. I am a Christian as well but I'm NOT religious. I'm always trying to batter off the religious type in my life so I can just be cool with just Jesus, since he is the true mover and shaker. I'm glad your here! Your input will be very useful in this arena so don't be shy:-)

Thanks everyone.

I know my intro goes into more depth than usual, but I'm actually proud to be a Lutheran. I agree that RELIGION is often used as an excuse for causing harm to others. I can't stand when it's used that way, whether it's to attack LGBT people, or Christians in the Middle East.

Don't think for a second I'm going to inject RELIGION into every discussion. I generally try not to be PREACHY with every breath and thought, I'm not that kind of evangelist. I believe the best way to convert people is through discussion and being a good person to everyone. I used this intro on another site precisely because to many people have only met or had experience with bigoted Christians.

LJay - Yes, Brandywine Creek still flows. We just had some flooding these past couple of days.

East - I don't intend to preachy...

MikeW - Wow, you grew up in BFE Indiana. Interesting story of your life (yes I read the whole thing.) I can empathize a lot with how you felt growing up. I keep joking that I'd have been such a bisexual slut if we had social media back when I was growing up... Of course, I denied the gay side of myself, and was to socially awkward/anxious to really approach girls in a meaningful way. So, my "dating" life was mostly non-existent.

Iceblink - somehow I grew up to believe everyone does have the right to be treated equally by the government. Everyone is created equal in the eyes of God. We all bleed the same. This bag of meat we call our bodies is a temporary place for our soul to reside, we shouldn't get hung up on our differences, we should focus on our similarities...

Wolfpack - I'm the alpha in my pack...

kjames - I'm not much of a church-goer, God is everywhere and our opportunity to praise his works is abundant. I love philosophical debates, so don't be afraid to hit me up for help with issues.