Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with my situation
Okay, so I met this guy, he's only two years younger than me, but lives in a different country. I feel bad for him because his family doesn't like that he's gay and don't accept him. Since I'm going to college next year, I don't know whether I should still go to college and just talk to him over the Internet, or I should go visit him, and possibly bring him back to the US with me...I truly care about him, especially since I had to talk him out of suicide. Please help me! Smile

It's a very sweet thought but I'm not sure if it's possible for you to just visit him and "bring him back to the US". Instead you should encourage him to do it himself and make sure he stays motivated to achieve it. Perhaps he could apply for a university in another country when the time comes or if he's uninterested in further studies, move somewhere and try to find work. Like I said, it's very nice of you to be helpful but I think the help is pretty limited to cheering him up and supporting him by talking - not that that makes it less valuable Smile

Okay, thank you, I wasn't quite sure what I needed to do

I agree it's too soon to be thinking of changing countries. A could understand visiting, but you guys need to test the waters before either of you moves. That's a huge commitment!

You don't say how long you have been talking to this person, but I'm going to assume a couple of months perhaps? You say you're going to college next year, so another assumption by me is that you are under the age of 20. I can understand developing feelings for someone over the internet, however; it's really hard to 'know' someone if you have not met them in person.

I feel it would be best if you just went to college and just maintained a friendship with this individual. An education will probably take you a lot farther than love will. You wish you could help this person, but if there is anything I've learned lo these many moons of my life is that you should always, always, always be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. I didn't realize the full meaning of that phrase when I wore a younger mans clothes, but I sure know what it means now.

Good luck with any decision you make!