Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's Caitlyn
Who knew...
Of all the Kardashians / (Jenners)...
Bruce had the juciest story.

Buzzer Wrote:[Image: quote-Dalai-Lama-our-prime-purpose-in-th...is-959.png]

This would sum up my problem with what any LGBT who is a conservative Republican is "doing" (extra or not) for the community.

In our own heads we're all the stars of our own movies. I don't think that's the issue. The issue is the cloying outburst of praise for Caitlyn as some kind of role model for our entire community, not just herself.

I understand the disdain about her political choices. As for her being a role model for our entire community, I mean, she won't inspire everyone, but you don't have to be trans to be moved by her truth. Imu2

larafan25 Wrote:I understand the disdain about her political choices. As for her being a role model for our entire community, I mean, she won't inspire everyone, but you don't have to be trans to be moved by her truth. Imu2

I find trans folks who have overcome tremendous odds and remained kind, generous people far more moving.

OnTheBeach Wrote:Absolute total freak.

In the same sort of vein as people who feel, inside, that they're attracted to the wrong gender?

OnTheBeach Wrote:Absolute total freak.

Well why didn't you say so!?! I bet your as is cute as a lil rosebud! Wink tell me, Hot Stuff Evilgrin1, how do you taste slathered down with some Horseradish and Butter? I'll pin your ears back and swallow you Whole! Confusedmiley-eating-icecr
~Beaux

Beaux Wrote:Well why didn't you say so!?! I bet your as is cute as a lil rosebud! Wink tell me, Hot Stuff Evilgrin1, how do you taste slathered down with some Horseradish and Butter? I'll pin your ears back and swallow you Whole! Confusedmiley-eating-icecr
~Beaux

LOL...I do believe I am blushing...Lord Have Mercy...I need a fan...or a pickle...or somethin' :biggrin:

Good luck to her.

East Wrote:^^^I had another thought...at first I thought it was random..and then I started going through the mental files and it seems to be a pattern....

The TS I know...they have a lot in common with Nancy Reagan...and Barbara Bush....and Sarah Palin...and Michelle Bachmann.....and Ann Coulter (MAYBE ALOT MORE IN COMMON WITH HER) in both looks and attitude...

Surely there must be at least one TS Elizabeth Warren...or Gloria Steinem?...or maybe not?

...and the irony...they seem to embrace women who adhere to and advocate strict conventional female gender role models...and then become one of them...
Stepford Wives!!! Yikes!

I haven't paid much attention to her but I will say this. Over the past few months, I have heard people giving about about the pronunciation of Caitlin (or Caitlín, to be precise) as Kate-Lynn (I know she's Caitlyn but the y was just added in by people for whom Caitlin wasn't good enough). It is Cat-leen or Catch-leen. There are probably other authentic pronunciations but I am no expert. But I think a lot of people would read it as Kate-Lynn over here, too. The Anglicised form is Kathleen. But if everyone says Kate-Lynn, then I suppose it is a valid name in its own right. There are people called Eithne over here who pronounce their name as Eth-na when it should be pronounced Enya (like the singer, Enya, or Eithne Ní Bhraonáin - she's a native Irish speaker from Gweedore) or something like that. (Apparently, a long time ago 'th' was pronounced as θ in Irish but it became 'h' so, maybe in the past, Eithne was pronounced Eth-na but the modern pronunciation by non-Irish speakers, like me, is a mispronunciation rather than something that carried over from the past). I know I've gone off on a tangent but I don't care. I'm home alone at night time on a hill in the middle of nowhere. I'm trying to keep busy to keep my mind off things - my greatest fear is that a ghost will appear and see me looking at boys on the internet.

I’m not sure exactly where this fits in with the discussion thus far, but…several years ago I was involved in a (relationship? hookup?) with a woman just before she underwent a transition. (Truthfully, on my end, an intense, deep crush; on her end, a hookup- but we ended up becoming very good friends afterwards). I think what allowed me to have such strong feelings for her was the fact that she exhibited very masculine traits, obviously. At the time it kind of confused me how she (now he) – a gay woman- was pretty vocal about having pretty conservative, politically right-oriented views on a lot of issues. She was (sort of) pro gay rights but not liberal on pretty much anything else. After transitioning, it seems to me that he has become somewhat more progressive/liberal on a lot of issues. Or, at least more comfortable voicing them.

I’m wondering if this dynamic isn’t coming into play here a bit: people who are trapped in the body that they don’t identify with, in most cases are probably feeling extremely uncomfortable with themselves, which can manifest as a bit of self-hatred….and, recalling what I wrote a few weeks ago (about homophobes manifesting their hatred for their own same-sex attraction as homophobia), it seems very plausible that the uneasiness/self-hatred of a pre-transitioned transgendered person might manifest in the same kind of way, and lead them to buy into some of that right-wing bullshit.

On another note (this was pre-gay marriage becoming legal, of course), he got married (to a woman, legally) shortly after transitioning, and has since easily adopted 2 children. It was interesting how just by transitioning, suddenly all of those “normal” rights were afforded to him. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be…it was just interesting to see that unfold after testosterone shots and a (relatively) easy legal gender change. (not that anything else about it was particularly easy).

[MENTION=21783]ShiftyNJ[/MENTION]
Quote:Orientation is orientation and identity is identity, and each of them is a spectrum, our place on which may or may not shift over time.
Regarding the sexuality piece of it….after being attracted to women his entire life, immediately after transitioning he went through a period of having sex with men- which I think had to more to do with curiosity about the male sexual response rather than a bona-fide attraction. I could be wrong though.