Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi I am Joshy!
Yeshua Wrote:So he's from Quebec, the province but in the Outaouais region, which is one region below where my dad was raised. And you are right, few years ago many cities and town of Quebec have been joined together and Hull-Gatineau are truly two towns that are separated by a street. Hull and Ottawa are separated by a bridge. However, Hull is in the province of Quebec while Ottawa is in the province of Ontario.

Hahaha I see that your boyfriend is part of the club of divorced parents too, honestly I wonder sometimes why people get married if all they'll do is to divorce few years later - yeah I know it's not the case for everyone, but your boyfriend will be able to confirm this: the Province of Quebec in all Canada is the capital of divorce LOL.

Drummondville is in the Monteregie region if I'm not mistaking, closer to Montreal than Hull that's for sure, it's basically about 4 hours apart from where your bf was born.

So i'd assume he's perfectly bilingual? Have you learned a bit of French since you've been with him?

Wow, you're very good at Canadian geography! I'm pretty sure everything you said is on point. And yes, he is completely bilingual (French was his first language). After I started dating him, I took French as my language to fulfill my requirement at my university, and I've managed to pick a bit up between him and that, but I'm not really at the point where I'd like to be. I've never been a huge believer in the language education system of my country, took Spanish for 7 years and didn't retain anything more than a few months after my last class. I know what I have to do, I need to start trying to only speak to him in French to really learn. He comes in a week for a month, so we'll see how that goes. I feel like that's going to be the best way to learn. Most of his family lives in Lac Megantic or Fermont, Quebec. It's EXTREMELY French and many of his family members are monolingual French speakers. I've been to Lac Megantic and it was such a culture shock seeing and hearing everything in French. The only two other countries I've been to are England and Ireland, so Quebec has been my first experience like this. I've yet to go to Fermont though, it sounds SUPER FUN :p I don't know if my boyfriend was pulling my leg or not, but he said that they needed to arrange their buildings and build a wall in such a way that if that wasn't the case, it would be uninhabitable in the winter.

And oh gosh, the divorce!! His parents, his dad's mother, his mom's mother has been divorced twice, his mom's dad has been divorced I don't even know how many times, his mom's dad's current wife had a divorce, his mom's sister and her boyfriend have resisted marriage even after 15 years and 4 kids because they're still not confident it won't end in divorce. Like not to brag or anything because I know the divorce rate is probably just the same in the US and Canada, but like in my family, my mom's dad's parents got divorced, but that's it. And sure, I know a lot of people with divorce in their family, but certainly not to that extend. ALTHOUGH, I will say for his family, they mostly all seem to have been very amicable with no hard feelings. They're all Facebook friends, I've seen his grandma sit at the same dinner table with his grandpa and his new wife, and the grandma and grandpa are talking about when they first met and it was all completely cool. I guess since there have always been a lot of kids involved, it forced them to play nice, but I feel like they are very genuinely friends for the most part.

Vin Wrote:Wow, you're very good at Canadian geography

I'd find it quite bizarre not to know the geography of the country I was born in Smile I know some people doesn't care but to me if someone claim to be so proud to live in such and such area he should be himself a source of information for others and make certain to be accurate as well. And I love both political and physical geography. In my family education is really important. But not only pursuing a degree or something, my dad told me often I don't give a damn if you feel that University is not for you, but in the process don't make an idiot of yourself and find alternative ways to educate yourself about the world that surrounds you. We have a library in our house with more than 15000 books recent and old and some rare book collections of about every subject there is; philosophy, psychology, history, medical books, anthropology etc., it's really difficult to be an idiot in our family when your parents are all super educated. My mom's a mathematician, dad just finished a doctorate degree in sociology and he's going for his master degree in behavioural psychology and my other dad, Alex is a medical practicing doctor at 29 years old. So I have excellent models to follow.

Quote:I'm pretty sure everything you said is on point. And yes, he is completely bilingual (French was his first language). After I started dating him, I took French as my language to fulfill my requirement at my university, and I've managed to pick a bit up between him and that, but I'm not really at the point where I'd like to be. I've never been a huge believer in the language education system of my country, took Spanish for 7 years and didn't retain anything more than a few months after my last class. I know what I have to do, I need to start trying to only speak to him in French to really learn. He comes in a week for a month, so we'll see how that goes. I feel like that's going to be the best way to learn.

If you're not exposed to a language or anything that need commitment you are indeed going to have a hard time retaining the information. I speak fluently French, English, Spanish and Tagalog (because I'm half Filipino half black), I learned Spanish by going on vacation at my sister's maternal grand-mother, my sister is half-black half Venezuelan - yes I know in our family there's no racial boundaries hahaha, my biological dad is black/latino, Alex is Australian and mix with some native Hawaiian, my other sisters and brothers, chinese, haitian, russian and caucasian so diversity in my family isn't just a theme it's a reality. But as my dad Alex said, if I cut you all open or and run blood tests, I can tell what nationalities you're originated from but not you. The best way to learn a language is to totally immerse yourself in it, no language schools and no universities can provide you with the cultural specific of a language. It's a start to learn from them, but that shouldn't be your only resource.

Quote:Most of his family lives in Lac Megantic or Fermont, Quebec. It's EXTREMELY French and many of his family members are monolingual French speakers. I've been to Lac Megantic and it was such a culture shock seeing and hearing everything in French. The only two other countries I've been to are England and Ireland, so Quebec has been my first experience like this. I've yet to go to Fermont though, it sounds SUPER FUN :p I don't know if my boyfriend was pulling my leg or not, but he said that they needed to arrange their buildings and build a wall in such a way that if that wasn't the case, it would be uninhabitable in the winter.

Wow Lac Megantic was the theater of a huge accident few years ago, I do hope your BF didn't lose any of his family members in this accident that claims 47 lives and many other severely wounded, it's a very nice town though I have been there before the accident. As per the wall, well, it's not surprising and no he's not pulling your leg, winter here can be really rough sometimes, a bit like in the state of Vermont when winter gets his way, but further north you go colder and more aride it gets. If your boyfriend was born and raised in Hull-Gatineau he's fully aware of how winter can be difficult at time. I visited my grand-dad in Abitibi this year in February and I couldn't believe how fucking cold it is up there, to believe that my dad, a boy who was born in the Caribbean survived up there. He told me tales of how his friends and himself would jump in a icy water just to run back in the camp, in their underwear, took that from Finland i guess, crazy fucks lol. So those city folks and their ice bucket challenge is cat pee compared to what people of the north do on a daily basis in winter hahaha. No I never tried it I love my heat LOL.

Quote:And oh gosh, the divorce!! His parents, his dad's mother, his mom's mother has been divorced twice, his mom's dad has been divorced I don't even know how many times, his mom's dad's current wife had a divorce, his mom's sister and her boyfriend have resisted marriage even after 15 years and 4 kids because they're still not confident it won't end in divorce. Like not to brag or anything because I know the divorce rate is probably just the same in the US and Canada, but like in my family, my mom's dad's parents got divorced, but that's it. And sure, I know a lot of people with divorce in their family, but certainly not to that extend. ALTHOUGH, I will say for his family, they mostly all seem to have been very amicable with no hard feelings. They're all Facebook friends, I've seen his grandma sit at the same dinner table with his grandpa and his new wife, and the grandma and grandpa are talking about when they first met and it was all completely cool. I guess since there have always been a lot of kids involved, it forced them to play nice, but I feel like they are very genuinely friends for the most part.
Well my dad never was married to my mom and wasn't married to my sister's mom either, he only married his blond bimbo Australian model-boy hahahaha, my other dad. But it is a thing here in Quebec actually, even when divorced if parents have children together it happens quite often that the family are still united. Like in my case per example dad and mom are very good friends and he's also good friend with my sister's mom. They all get along and we all spend time together at least once a year - mostly during summer because in my family we don't care much for Christmas, but every year we have a huge BBQ at our house and the whole family from all sides are invited, so you guess what a Babel tower it may look like when Tagalog, Spanish, English and French are all in the same place LOL. There's only one very strict rule with my dad... Leave Jesus Christ at the door and everything will go just fine hahahaha.

Quebecers are a really open minded society and I believe you saw it for yourself.

Yeshua Wrote:he only married his blond bimbo Australian model-boy

Hahahahaha Oh Oh Oh I am so going to show him that... you're going to face the consequences and I will not intervene LOL. Remember he's also your doctor, your next checkup will perhaps be more painful than usual. I'll watch and laugh.

You little shit :p

Hello there!

Jake Wrote:Hahahahaha Oh Oh Oh I am so going to show him that... you're going to face the consequences and I will not intervene LOL. Remember he's also your doctor, your next checkup will perhaps be more painful than usual. I'll watch and laugh.

You little shit :p

LOL empty threat daddy... Lexy would never ever hurt me. Tatertale LOL. and beside which one is worst; me calling him blond bimbo model boy or you calling him blond bitch? Ah! If he read me he'll read you too LOL.

And Joshy goes for the win... he shoots and scores.

starlight Wrote:Hello there!

Hi Starlight Smile

Hi Josh, welcome to GaySpeak! Smile