Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi everyone
But often we think that the news is going to be really HARD on our families when they are able to deal with it better than we do... strangely, after all, it is OUR LIVES we are speaking of, not theirs, so why should it affect them? I think it's got to do with the fact that we don't want to disappoint them. If you read my story you'll know why I didn't want to come out earlier. Everyone's circumstances are different and the way the news is received is different too but mostly, people don't really care, as long as it doesn't affect them directly.

Therefore Jon, I'm not sure that it really means anything to tell the family first. I'd have loved my family to know first and yet what happened in reality is that I told a whole lot of other gay guys first, online... Lol. Now you have told US, your family will never be the first to know. Know what I mean? We practise on friends and others who we think won't be too affected first, then when we've got used to the idea of saying the words "I'm gay", it becomes a bit easier to tell people who have a vested interest in you. What's probably most important for your parents, is that you should be happy... And you can only be happy once you stop having to hide that important part of you (and your boyfriend, lover, partner, husband, if you happen to have one).

I know what you mean about telling other people on the internet. But for some strange reason I kind of don't include them because on the Internet, nobody knows who you are it kind of doesn't matter. But you're right that you can practice.

I know you probably don't count the people who don't know you and whom you don't know on the Internet, but your parents will still not be the first to know. Anyway, next time your friends ask you, tell them and see what kind of support you get from them... It might just clear the air, you know? Again, it should be easier to tell a well-meaning friend than a parent who's seen you all their lives and made an image of who you are which may (or may not) be truthful.

Well you're already in good hands advice-wise, so I'll just say ... hi !! And, of course, welcome to GS Confusedmile:.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

A bit late... but I've been on hol... Hi and welcome!! Smile

Glad that coming out to your sis went well... and hope as you come out to others it all goes positively for you!