Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, thought I'd introduce Myself
Hi All!

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm kinda of new to the LGBT communtiy. Been closeted for to long and am halfway to being fully Out.

Im a quiet, honest person who has been dishonest with himself for too long, but I'm changing that.

I live close to Montreal, Qc and would like to meet some like-minded ppl for to be friends with, since I currently only know straight ppl, and cant really be open with them (they're supportive, but uncomfortable talking about same-sex topics :tongueSmile

Aw.....

Its nice to meet you anyway, I was in the same boat a few months ago. Honestly, it'll get easier as you get more comfortable with the idea yourself Big Grin I'm from Toronto myself! Maybe a good thing for you to do would be to go to Montreal's gay pride in August with some of your friends. It might open them up to the culture and you never know, you might even have fun!

I came out to my sis last week at Toronto Pride and it ended up being loads of fun, so don't let your shyness get in the way of being you; I think thats a big problem for a lot of LGBTQ, they come out and are fine with others in the community, but when it comes to straight people/friends it different story!

Anyway, nice to meet you, hope the forum lives up to your wildest expectations Big Grin

Hello, BYoNexus, and Welcome to GaySpeak. The Canadian section of the membership seems to be growing everyday and several people have joined recently. I'm sure you'll be able to fit in.
How did you realise you were gay and when? And have you any plans of coming out to your family some time soon? Or will it be your friends first?

Welcome to the site mate, always nice to have another cool guy around the place.

Ceruleaan Wrote:Maybe a good thing for you to do would be to go to Montreal's gay pride in August with some of your friends. It might open them up to the culture and you never know, you might even have fun! Big Grin

Ah, I actually tried to look that up yesterday, but thought it had alrdy passed. I will check it out if it doesn't conflict with a few other August Events I'm planning to attend.

princealbertofb Wrote:How did you realise you were gay and when? And have you any plans of coming out to your family some time soon? Or will it be your friends first?

This is kind of embarassin :tongue:, I've pretty much known since the end of Elementary school. The reason it took me this long to get the nerve to come out is: 1. Im a very shy person & 2. My High School was badly run after my first year. They gave lip service to tolerance, but did nothing about ppl who were intolerant (which was all the 'cool' ppl). This caused me to not even consider coming out earlier, which led to depression, and drug use (weed). Recently, during a pretty severe depressed period, I decided enough was enough.

As to my Coming Out Plans, I've already come out to my closest friends, my brother and my mom. I've messaged 2 of my cousins, and am waiting on their response. I plan to use this month to Come out another cousin as well as most of my aunt's and uncles if I can figure out a good time (not a perfect time Smile I know it doesnt exist).

As for my co-workers, I dont think I should go around telling them all, but I wont deny it and plan to have some kind of FB statement for them. (Still a bit unclear, but working on it)

Anyways, thanks for the great responses!

Got a small update.

I dunno if there's somewhere else to post his, so I thought Id add to my intro thread.

I've come out to 2 more ppl. they're my 2 female cousins (Sisters). They're both straight, but are very comfortable with the LGBT community. I told them over FB, cause they were in Toronto and I had the urge to tell someone in the family. I just finished talking to them over the phone, and they were very supportive. They even offered to come with me to some bars/clubs in the Village so I'd feel more comfortable, which is awesome since so far, Ive had no such offers from anyone else I've told.

Yay! :tongue:

Absolutely brilliant, BYoNexus... very pleased for you that it's getting to be less of a chore than it seemed. Nice that your family seem supportive on the whole. Way to go!
congratulations!

princealbertofb Wrote:Absolutely brilliant, BYoNexus... very pleased for you that it's getting to be less of a chore than it seemed. Nice that your family seem supportive on the whole. Way to go!
congratulations!

Thanks Alot Prince Tongue

EDIT: My Cousins are awesome Smile They sent me info on 2 possible LGBT Centres. I've emailed both and will most likely go down sometime this week to check things out.

Another person Ive told now. its the daughter of my mom's boyfriend (Actually, a little more then that, I just dont know the term). They're both part of the family, even if they dont have any direct relation. I told her because she and my 2 cousins are close, so I thought it made sense. Whoo! This time was so easy, i was only feeling a hint of anxiety Smile

Bravo!!! Confusedmile: