Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiding your lifestyle?
BiPenny Wrote:Go to soho - you can do whatever the fuck you like there and nobody cares. Thats why I LOVE the place. As I walk onto old compton street I always break a huuuuge smile. (with the exception of the time I was stalked on there by the Jesus Army - that made me need chocolate - each to their own but don't force your religion on me!)

But then that's ghettoisation, unfortunately.
Everywhere should be SOHO, or at least (cutting back on my demands) every place should have its SOHO. In fact nobody should care to the point that it's going to get you into trouble. It's not terrorism, it's just displays of affection, what the fuck!

To be honest, places where no one cares about anyone gets me down.

Small villages I think are nice, everyone says hi to you and all that its my ideal place.

CardShark Wrote:To be honest, places where no one cares about anyone gets me down.

Small villages I think are nice, everyone says hi to you and all that its my ideal place.
Apart from my time with Albert I've lived in small villages most of my life. Villages, particularly small ones can be extremely tribal. The school in our village was actually under siege by one tribe for about a year. It was awful and even made the national press. If you happen to be associated with the wrong tribe, life can be hell. Not everybody says, "Hi". I don't think I would even recognise my next-door-neighbours if I met them elsewhere and I've been here for a few years now. I did have more to do with my neighbours when I shared a partition wall or a driveway or if their kids were friends with mine.

My ex-wife was terrified of the neighbours finding out why we were splitting up when it happened. Everybody was very keen to dwell on the misery of others and, of course, everyone in a small community knows everything about you. If they lack information they'll create a fiction to fill in the gaps :eek:

Urban life may offer protection through numbers and a certain anonymity. Rural living isn't all scenery and jolly vicars on bicycles. While the contrast is sometimes interesting I prefer rural living and try to stay out of the local politicking.

Thats my dreams down the hole Laugh.

When you mention tribe I imagine indians with i bit of wood with a flint tied on the end Laugh, I take it its not like that?

Even urban life can be similar, when my brother was at school they used to have other schools coming down attacking them etc.
It was the same when I went to school, people would start fights with other schools or they would come down in LARGE groups and pick up what ever they could to attack people.
Then the police come and everyone throws everything in the bush.

That is where I became agrophobic being attacked by 12 people against me and a friend.

There was points where we where told to wait for the younger kids so we would them out of trouble.

CardShark Wrote:... When you mention tribe I imagine indians with i bit of wood with a flint tied on the end Laugh, I take it its not like that?...
No, it's not like that, although you were close with the bit of wood, which may or may not have nails protruding, but not much flint ... you need to be further east in the Breckland for that.

Tribes? Long established families v incomers. Travellers (including settled relatives) v gorgers. Outlaws v police. In fact, there are families round here that the police do not tackle, unless they have absolutely no choice. Like your school reference, there is a history of towns and villages fighting each other. Family loyalties are pretty fierce and you'd better make sure you know who you're talking to if you're talking about someone.

Of course it's not all bad news, but it can feel like the wild west at times. A week or so after I moved to Norfolk I was in King's Lynn one Saturday afternoon and witnessed people belting each other with lumps of 2x2 and being bounced into shop windows. It was vicious and very frightening. I've never seen that happen anywhere else.

WoW, sounds like the Hatfields & the McCoys... in the bluegrass mountains of the deep south in USA...