Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobbit, desolation of Smaug
Tolkien? Tolkien? Who in all of Middle Earth is this Tolkien creature you speak of. I must away and parlay with my elven brothers and sisters to see if they have heard of this beast.

I love anything with hobbits in it.

Not sure I classify as a Tolkien fan, but I do enjoyed most of his work...except for one..

I never wanted to read The Hobbit, don't ask me why...perhaps I shouldn't have read the Silmarillion first...now, that other one seemed so little in comparison..

of course, when I heard about the movie I was keen to see part 2 more than anything...only, and only on the account of seeing how it would be portrayed the moment Mr. Grey finds out that the "dude" has returned...I wasn't dissapointed..

Overall the movie is well put together, and entertaining...

I still won't read The Hobbit, tho...

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Tolkien? Tolkien? Who in all of Middle Earth is this Tolkien creature you speak of. I must away and parlay with my elven brothers and sisters to see if they have heard of this beast.

Do not smack your creator...

anyways....I bother to reply to you (:tongueSmile cause you made me remember this book "Niebla" by Miguel de Unamuno, in which the main character finds out he's being written, so in an awkward scenario for a book, the Author writes a chapter where the main character goes to meet him to find any significance to his life and Unamuno replies pretty much "you don't exist, you are nothing, you are my creation to distress or kill or make happy..you have no control over what you do, there is no meaning to your life cause you are not real"...

ah.....fine book

southbiochem Wrote:I still won't read The Hobbit, tho...

I can't see why you are so against reading The Hobbit. It was actually the easiest book of his to read. In comparison, the rest of the LotR series were much drier and harder to swallow. If you enjoyed any of the other books at all, you won't have any issues with the much simpler Hobbit book. It's also a bit different from the way it's portrayed in the movies, so it might have something new that you'd miss out on by just seeing the films alone.

VileKyle Wrote:I can't see why you are so against reading The Hobbit. It was actually the easiest book of his to read. In comparison, the rest of the LotR series were much drier and harder to swallow. If you enjoyed any of the other books at all, you won't have any issues with the much simpler Hobbit book. It's also a bit different from the way it's portrayed in the movies, so it might have something new that you'd miss out on by just seeing the films alone.

I believe that's exactly what I've been avoiding it...I loved the "hard-to-swallow" (jeez, that sounds filthy) part of the Silmarillion and LOTR, I first read them when I was 13...I fear that it would dissapoint me somehow...

most likely than not in the future I'll sucumb to the curiosity and read it..

I'll be taking your comment on this into consideration, Kyle, thanks..Confusedmile: