Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homophobic B&B
A friend just tweeted this story: Gay Couple "turned away from B&B". One to avoid, or not (if you want to irritate the owner)

And so it happens again and again... If people are going to discriminate against gay couples maybe they ought to say on their websites that they won't accomodate them? Then they'd be in trouble, wouldn't they??? lol

If me and my bf had booked a night there, we would have stood our ground and insisted on our rights and we would have called the police there and then. We have never had any trouble in Spain or the UK if it comes to that. We also travel extensively in Europe with our caravan and have never had a problem at campsites. I have noticed that there are VERY few gay couples on most campsites however, which is a pity because people everywhere make us very welcome and we have made some good friends on holiday.

The police are treating it as a homophobic incident, hope the couple sue the B/B owner.

I am sure the police, themselves, will do nothing. Breaking equality laws is hardly a criminal offence. If it were me I'd ring up the news desk of the local rag, they are almost always desperate for something to report. Some nice photos outside the B&B should be enough to ruin its reputation.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:... Some nice photos outside the B&B should be enough to ruin its reputation.
... or bring the 'phobes in by the charabanc-load.

fredv3b Wrote:Breaking equality laws is hardly a criminal offence.
The point is, it is. In law it is just as illegal as denying people (as happened in days of old, ie the 70s...) accomodation for being black or Irish.

There are many acts which are illegal but are civil offences not criminal ones, for example trespass. To the best of my knowledge, breaking equality laws are civil offences.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Oh for goodness sake; her self righteousness is particularly grating. She states that this is against her convictions, which, small minded as they are, she has a right to hold; but I fail to see how her own principles are particularly relevant. No one was asking her to enable, facilitate, endorse or even approve of their relationship in anyway, they just wanted a bed for the night.

As an aside, I notice on the website of the guesthouse in question, the very first line reads 'A warm & friendly welcome awaits all guests' Hmmmmm

"Trades Descriptions Act"... Nice and easy to prove not as described, and not fit for the purpose intended Wink