Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas mayor resigns for gay partner
[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/jlown.jpg[/img2]The mayor of San Angelo, Texas, has resigned just ten days after a landslide re-election victory to pursue his relationship with his gay partner, an illegal immigrant.

J W Lown was elected in 2003 as the city's youngest ever mayor at the age of 32. He has been re-elected three times, gaining 89 per cent of the latest vote, held ten days ago.

He told the San Angelo Standard-Times he fell in love with his partner in March, after he announced he would be standing for re-election.

It is thought the unnamed Mexican man had a student visa which has now expired.

Lown said he had chosen not to take the oath of office while “aiding and assisting” a person who was illegally in the country.

“I made the final decision when I knew it was the right decision to make for me and my partner and our future - and for the community,” he said.

He added he planned to stay in Mexico to try to obtain a visa so that his partner can return with him if “the people of San Angelo will welcome me back.”

Lown officially tendered his resignation via a letter delivered to city manager Harold Dominguez this week.

“While I know that the timing of this announcement is less than ideal, I have my own compelling reasons for making this decision,” he wrote. “I have made thousands of decisions on behalf of our community, and I weighed this decision in the same manner that I approached other decisions.”

Even if Lown married his partner by proxy in a state that allows gay marriage, the federal government does not recognise same-sex marriages for immigration purposes.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

He sounds suspiciously like a politician with principles.

It's a shame his partner is victimised for being both gay and an immigrant. Three cheers for the citizens of San Angelo who elected a gay mayor.

marshlander Wrote:He sounds suspiciously like a politician with principles.

Far too good to be true.

Also just for everyone's interest tomorrow the Supreme Court of the Republic of California will deliver its judgement on Proposition 8. Essentially, there are two main issues in the case.

1) Does Proposition 8 amount to a revision of the State Constitution rather than a mere amendment? If it does then the change becomes invalid as it should have been passed by both houses of the State Legislature as well as by a popular vote.

2) If Proposition 8 is valid what is its effect on the legal standing on those couples who got married, perfectly legally, before the passage of the proposition?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

This story would make for a good film.
It's really sweet.

marshlander Wrote:Three cheers for the citizens of San Angelo who elected a gay mayor.

I think Texas might be changing (for the better)!
Houston elected an open lesbian mayor (Annise Parker) in 2009.

JoeyJoJo Wrote:I think Texas might be changing (for the better)!
Houston elected an open lesbian mayor (Annise Parker) in 2009.
That's good news, I hope. It's also a great reason for being on this kind of forum where I can have all my preconceptions challenged by people who know better Xyxthumbs