Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homophobic Bullying v Straights Kissing
My eye was caught by a couple of articles in The Guardian recently. The first is a report that despite progress in attitudes having been made, many gays and lesbians still frequently find themselves under attack.
Quote: Stonewall's own research shows that homophobic bullying is rife in schools (nine in 10 teachers say their pupils currently experience homophobic bullying and 65% of pupils report experiencing direct homophobic bullying), and research by the Equality Challenge Unit finds that 49.5% of students in higher education have been treated in a negative way because of their sexual orientation.

Homophobic bullying doesn't just stop at university. Stonewall's own University Guide shows that many universities still don't do enough to tackle homophobia on their campuses.

Progress should certainly be celebrated – but there's still some way to go before we can say universities are homophobia-free. more
The second, bizarrely, looks at an academic study that indicates there is a rise in the number of straight men kissing each other in public. I seem to have missed this phenomenon, which has apparently blossomed over the past couple of years. [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/jan/04/straight-men-kissing-homophobia"]more
[/URL]

what a great idea.

1. *kiss*
2. wanna come back to my place & have a coffee?
3. make move
4. Back to first link

Perfect chess position. Vigilante entrapment.

Scary.

Scary indeed

charley Wrote:what a great idea.

1. *kiss*
3. make move
4. Back to first link

Scary.
i agree :eek:

charley Wrote:what a great idea.

1. *kiss*
3. make move
4. Back to first link

Scary.
Maybe, but a little cynical too. The straights kissing was not presented in that context. It is more an observation that some young straight men in parts of the UK are not afraid to kiss their friends. This, I think, is a new phenomenon and not associated with traditional entrapment and so-called gay panic responses.

Naturally the normal caveats apply Wink

I met a gay acting straight guy, flirting, &c. He invited me back to his place. I applied the normal caveats and didn't make a move, but let him know I was gay. It was pathetic watching the fauxmo act thrown into full reverse and the bully boy come out. I extricated myself politely.

Cynical?

Only in that you seem to be applying that experience in a bit of a shotgun fashion - although it is perfectly understandable why you would be cautious! I think many of us, specially if we've been around for a while, have been caught out at some time. I shudder when I think back to some of my stupid behaviour of only a few years ago. I'm just pleased not to have received a physical beating. I'm glad you managed to get out okay.

I'm loss for words at that gay chicken thing. I wish that would spread over here. Sad

TuxSky Wrote:I'm loss for words at that gay chicken thing. I wish that would spread over here. Sad

Me too...I really do wish. Most people here are very homophobic.