Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homophobic lecturer
Off topic, I realise. But can anyone confirm the legal position in Singapore with regard to debt.

I've been told that you can go to Prison in Singapore for civil debt. Is this true?

The bitch was appointed to teach law, not to use her teaching position to air her homophobic, discriminatory and hateful views her intending students believed she would do and no doubt would. I'm glad the student's opposition forced her to quit.
Justin

Looking her up in wiki, it seems that only fifteen students had signed up for the two courses she was going to teach; she could shout all she liked, fifteen students do not constitute a crowded theatre.

She made her hate-filled rant as a non-elected member of the Singapore parliament, a somewhat privilaged and protected position. She declined an offer to lecture to students in New York after she encountered opposition to her views.

Not much of a lawyer in my view if she can't stand up to a good argument, which she would have lost. Constitutionally protected free speech may protect some vile people, but on this occasion it looks like it scared one away.

So what do you think? Is this a classic case of academic freedom/freedom of speech vs equality and respect? If so, which is more important? Was the school right to invite her? Where the students right to respond as they did? Would you be comfortable to attend her class, if you were a student?

Freedom of Speech works both ways and it seems as though she had a problem with the students expressing their POV to her and thus not a fan of free speech anyway. I would be uncomfortable in her class as I would be hearing a lecture from a Nazi or a member of the KKK or Fred Phelps's organization...his daughter Shirley is a lawyer too. Would her POV be an exercise in diversity or hate speech? Would the University feel comfortable having a noted racist giving lectures in the spirit of diversity? I think not. I do not think these antiquated ignorant views have any place in academia.

I think the school made a mistake inviting her initially...she could have gone to Bob Jones University as long as she was here as she would have been welcome there.