Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this offensive and hurtful?
In his business you have to be rude and obnoxious.
I must say I had a bit of a giggle at Oprah and the electronic babysitter.

I really wasn't impressed with his overuse of the term fag , I find it to be derogatory and rude.
But that's just me , I really hate that term.

Toby Wrote:I wasn't trying to turn it into a contest, Dfiant. I wanted to try to look at the similarities between some of them as individuals. I always felt comedy was the great unifier. I really like and respect you and so I was a little surprised that you would dismiss a whole group of comedians based on where they're from. Now, it may perhaps be a case of "every single American comedian I've ever seen I haven't liked, therefore I don't like those American comedians," which would be valid. But would that thinking carry over to something like "I don't want to hear that comedian because he's American and my policy is I don't like American comedians?"

Fair enough. American comedians are funny, but there is not one american stand up comedian that I can can think of off the top of my head that I thought was funny. Eddy Murphy - can't stand his stand-up routines, but very funny in movies would be a good example, Robin Williams, Steve Martin and Chevy Chase all the same.

Comedy IS a unifier, but not everyones funny bone is the same.

The funniest stand-up comdeian in my opinion is Billy Connelly, his humour is more visual I guess because he is so fucking unco (Un-Coordinated), and maybe that is it. I don't find people standing on stage telling jokes particularly funny.

I also tend to find British humour and comedies more to my liking, probably more so than Aussie comedy.

dfiant Wrote:Fair enough. American comedians are funny, but there is not one american stand up comedian that I can can think of off the top of my head that I thought was funny. Eddy Murphy - can't stand his stand-up routines, but very funny in movies would be a good example, Robin Williams, Steve Martin and Chevy Chase all the same.

Comedy IS a unifier, but not everyones funny bone is the same.

The funniest stand-up comdeian in my opinion is Billy Connelly, his humour is more visual I guess because he is so fucking unco (Un-Coordinated), and maybe that is it. I don't find people standing on stage telling jokes particularly funny.

I also tend to find British humour and comedies more to my liking, probably more so than Aussie comedy.

Well holy shit, we've more in common than I thought. Eddie Murphy is the worst! And if you wanna talk about a real gay bashing comedian, look no further. I can't stand a single one of the other Americans you mentioned either. And I agree about Connelly.

Stephen Fry explained the difference between American and British humor by pointing out that the American comedy hero is often the real popular mean guy, like John Belushi smashing the guitar in Animal House; while the British comedic hero is often the other guy, the victim of the abuse like Alan Partridge or David Brent. I understand kind of what he meant, but I still don't think that applies across the board. I don't think Eddie Izzard or Billy Connelly or most British comics fall into that victim category at all, and I think Louis CK may be one of the most victim-like comics of all time, after Woody Allen; all four of whom I think are absolute geniuses.

It's an interesting topic to me and I appreciate you responding and giving your views. I'll have to find a good Connelly clip we can both laugh at. Xyxthumbs

i hate peple been nasty abot gay pepole. i hate pepple saying retard it is my worest word in the world it is same bad as it bad about ggay peple .if them not care but i care.its wrong. gay words said its stopidto be gay .and retard mean is the stopidest peple in the wholeworld.i hate it. i think peple shoudent say them. i hate retard and handicap . a bad gay words.

If i see him in the street i will spit him right between his eyes; then i will shake hands and congratz him for finding his dream job.

"What better gift could you give to someone who wants to hurt you than a word you've packed with so much explosiveness and potential for harm. Every time someone says “don’t say that word, it’s hurtful,” bullies and hate filled people should thank that person and give them a big ol’ hug because they already did half the work for them".

Amen! Thumbgrin

He lost my interest within the first two minutes so no.

Wasn't offended.

Basically all he was doing was bitching, Lol. If i want that i'll go back to my ex.

expecting cultural sensitivity requires one to be culturally sensitive...

Bill's KEEN cultural sensitivity has made him a very successful comic. Extremism is not helpful in the big picture of acceptance efforts. Bill's use of his magnifying glass is not an expression of extremism.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart