Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Homosexuality is wrong because...
Lilmy87 Wrote:Personally I prefer those theories which hold that which ever course of action brings the greatest happiness to the greatest number is the right one.

Whilst I agree that utilitarianism sounds attractive, it does have its problems. One must consider the whole myriad of effects of all one's possible actions on everybody, which even if it were humanly possible would take most of the day. Also I dare say it would be better all round if certain people were never born, if we could determine in advance who these were, what should we do about them?

X-tra Wrote:The positives for all mankind that derive from homosexuality are countless and yet people can still ask this question...

I strongly avoid questions of the positives of homosexuality, because they are so often to connected to the notion that we have to earn our place in society. I think merely being citizens of our countries should be enough.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

marshlander Wrote:Did you really mean that, Lilmy? I'm sure that there could well be a majority of people in this world who would be quite happy if they never had to think about homosexuality, for example, and would be quite content to turn their heads while someone else dealt with the "problem".

Hmmm, I guess I didn't think it through properly... I'll admit it can't be as simple as 'happiness= good', for the terrible things that bring some people happiness, surely would not be considered moral by any other measure. And, as fred says, how could all the consequences of any given thing possibly be quantified? I am inclined to think there is no straight forward way to define morality. I am also sure that those who argue that homosexuality is wrong would similarly be unable to find a consistant and logical argument.

I do, however, think that morality has to be related to the concepts of fairness and justice in some way, so I am sure gay people are entitled to the same rights and citizenship as everyone else, including the right to a private life, and to respect.

Wow, this has definitely got me thinking!

Lilmy87 Wrote:I am inclined to think there is no straight forward way to define morality.

I couldn't agree more.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Lilmy87 Wrote:... I do, however, think that morality has to be related to the concepts of fairness and justice in some way ...
I would agree with that. My right to be who I am and behave as I wish stops at the point where it restricts that right in another. Of course were such an ideal ever to become a reality it would need universal application. :confused: