Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Modern" literature book search...
So a friend of mine has asked me to recommend books for her to read, but all I read are classics, which is something that does not hold her interest. While I want to help her start her own library, I also want to grow mine to include modern literature, but I obviously don't know where to start.

Are there any authors or particular books that you think we should start with?

John Marsden,

Tomorrow, When the War Began
The Dead of the Night
The Third Day, The Frost
Darkness, Be My Friend
Burning for Revenge
The Night is for Hunting
The Other Side of Dawn

Suzanne Collins.
The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay

Rainbowmum Wrote:John Marsden,

Tomorrow, When the War Began
The Dead of the Night
The Third Day, The Frost
Darkness, Be My Friend
Burning for Revenge
The Night is for Hunting
The Other Side of Dawn

i love that series Big Grin

How about Elliot Pearlman's Seven Types of Ambiguity. It's a goodie.

I'll use this opportunity to promote one of my favourite authors and a book I've liked and reread several times.

Anthony Burgess, who died nearly twenty years ago wrote A Clockwork Orange, he didn't think much of it, and was positively dismissive of the film. He is one of those authors who is disappearing into obscurity because no one among the literati seems to be promoting him.

The book I'll recommend is not that one but Earthly Powers, a sweep across 20th century history narrated by one Kenneth Toomey, an author who is somewhat modeled on W Somerset Maugham and his ilk with one very particular reference to P G Wodehouse.

A fairly long read and in my view utterly wrong in it's premise; like all the best writing it has a point other than the narrative.

It was written in 1980 so it may not count as modern any more, but I would certainly recommend it.

One author I would NOT recommend is John Green.

Other than that, Margaret Peterson Haddox has some real nice fiction.
His Dark Materials.
The Bartimaeus Trilogy.
Inheritance Cycle.
Under The Dome by Stephen King.
The Lovely Bones

SlipknotRlZZ Wrote:His Dark Material.

That series is largely responsible for who I am today. I read them as a kid and loved the story and the worlds and the characters very intensely. I re-read them a few years ago and was able to appreciate all the not-so-subtle religious subject matter: the condemnation of the catholic church, the reverse telling of Milton's Paradise Lost / the fall of man, and the celebration of a life lived unfettered by superstition and false myths thus recognizing the true beauty of morality and love in an otherwise absurd existence.

There's a particular passage near the end of the series that caused to decide to quit my job and return to school to follow my passion: music. I'll try to paraphrase without spoiling anything.

SPOILERINESS UP AHEAD FOR A BOOK YOU PROBABLY DON'T CARE ABOUT!?!?!?

When Lyra loses her ability to read the aleithiometer at the end, a skill which normally requires an inordinate amount of study and dedication, she panics because for the first time she cannot predict her future with any certain. When she asks one of the angels what she should do with her life, the angel responds "Learn to read the aleithiometer again." Lyra says, "How long will that take?" The angel replays "A lifetime. What you could one do by grace you will learn to do again through study. In this way you will gain knowledge that is much greater, and it is a knowledge that will never leave you."

I'm paraphrasing a bit, but not by much. It made me realize that there is no finish line in life. We view education as a means to an end with a big dollar sign over the exit door. It made me want to study a craft and be satisfied that I will always be learning, and that it is the process of learning which is the reward. Philip Pullman said once that so many children's stories in our culture (Peter Pan, Chronicles of Narnia, etc.) tell children that they should never grow up. That to be young and innocent is the best thing and adulthood and responsibility are things to fear. He said that children's stories should teach kids how to grow up and that responsibility and education are far more gratifying and thrilling than anything.

Sorry I spilled out so much. I just get excited whenever I hear about anyone else who likes those books. It's embarrassing how much I value what is ultimately a children's book, but there ya go.

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! We will definitely check those out Smile

"Tomorrow When the War Began"... I think I saw the film adaptation on Netflix. It's like the Australian "Red Dawn", basically?