Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror Novels
What's the best horror books. Smile

I know it's not classified as horror, but Scenes From Village Life by Amos Oz is one of the most frightening things I've ever read. It's the kind of horror that's to do with mystery and you always get the feeling of "Oh god something's very wrong". I won't spoil it too much but I will say that it has a very frightening disturbing atmosphere when you read it, and there's an incredibly disturbing climax.

It's not jumpy sudden pop out scary, but it is very much suspense and disturbing mystery. You'll like it if you like unsolved enigmas like the Mary Celeste or things like that.

Oh I thought of something comparable: the mood is sort of like the game Silent Hill 4 where there is a constant blurring of the real world and a world where everything is wrong.

Lilitu Wrote:I know it's not classified as horror, but Scenes From Village Life by Amos Oz is one of the most frightening things I've ever read. It's the kind of horror that's to do with mystery and you always get the feeling of "Oh god something's very wrong". I won't spoil it too much but I will say that it has a very frightening disturbing atmosphere when you read it, and there's an incredibly disturbing climax.

It's not jumpy sudden pop out scary, but it is very much suspense and disturbing mystery. You'll like it if you like unsolved enigmas like the Mary Celeste or things like that.

It sounds good I might give it a read. Smile

Again not a horror or a novel but the children's picture book 'The Watertower' and its sequel 'Beneath the surface' are incredibly disturbing in the same way as Scenes From Village Life mentioned above. I don't know why my year 8 teacher thought it was a good idea to read this to us because everybody got nightmares.
Actually when I think about it Picture books from Australia are always like this o.o there was one that got banned in Australia but in New Zealand we read it and the illustrations were so wrong and disturbing.

Anything by Stephen King. Smile

I've read misery and that's about it with stephen king xD
I never get around to him. Once I tried to read one of his newer novels, I think it was Duma key, but I'm not 100%, but I got distracted by how many swears there were and then I stopped. That happens alot to me...

Lilitu Wrote:I've read misery and that's about it with stephen king xD
I never get around to him. Once I tried to read one of his newer novels, I think it was Duma key, but I'm not 100%, but I got distracted by how many swears there were and then I stopped. That happens alot to me...

that reminds me of a particular bit from misery ...