Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many Have Given Out FB Passwords?
From this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/e...story.html

Quote:As part of the hiring process, some job applicants are being asked by some prospective employers to submit their usernames and passwords so that the employers can access their Facebook accounts to see what the applicants have posted online, reports the Associated Press.

I personally do not have a FB account as I detest their operating practices and the lack of respect they show their users. So maybe I'm not understanding something here: why would an employer need a password to see what you posted online? Why isn't just giving a username enough by itself? (I'm not going to buy "so they know it's yours" as they should be able to tell in other ways, especially if there's pix posted of the user.)

Is this more common in some jobs than others? Just how difficult is it to get a job without a FB account?

And has anyone here given over their passwords? If so, did you create a "face" account (that is, one strictly for job searches so they saw only what you wanted them to and didn't use for anything else anymore than necessary to look used)? Or did you give them the passwords to your real account? If so, why? Would you also give them a password to your GS account or email account or is that different?

I just recently found out about this and was gobsmacked by it so I'm trying to understand. And given that I don't have a FB account maybe it's not quite what I'm imagining here.

Hah! definitely not, I wouldn't touch jobs like that with a barge pole

I dont' have a facebook account either. It creeps me out really bad. When I went to delete my account it was weird because they basically wouldn't let me..I had to find out how to go about it from a group of people who hate facebook...

If I did have one.....I would not give anyone my info.

Oh yeah...I would not work for anyone who asked for that info either...completely out of the question. They would creep me out worse than FB.

Totally appalled , they seriously are going to prejudge you before employing you?
There is no way I would work for someone that asked that of me.
I would tel them to take a long walk of a short pier.

creepy to put something with your name on the interweb.
multiple FB accounts would work, one for that controlling employer.
i never had to give out passwords, always use my iPhone for emails and web at work
hide your ip

Any employer asking me for anything I consider personal information, like passwords is not going to be employing me. In fact I would tell them off, might even use a profane word or two to their face.

I do not like the idea of people snooping in my business. I don't do anything special or that I'm ashamed of. Its just a matter of privacy.

Besides, they can be my friend and see my Facebook account from their own account. There is absolutely no reason on earth they need a password to muck around with your account.

Other than invasion of privacy.

That is outrageous!

There has to be some sort of privacy law against that, at least here in America. And I know that's sounds weird considering there really is no such thing as privacy on the interwebs, especially FB! But still, that's just wrong on so many levels!

well my last 2 jobs (sound silly i know) requested a facebook account to post stuff about the events and stuff , and it's kinda usefull for concerts and winning free tickets.
And if you work with people , Brasov is kinda tourist city and some of the customers request the facebook since they come there dayly and they wanna keep in touch with you...