Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I get people to stop calling me a yankee?
Obviously, I live in the South. Everyone calls me a yankee down here. I find it to be insulting- Plus, I live in the South and that technically makes me a Southerner, even though I've only lived down here for about a month

Arkansota Wrote:Obviously, I live in the South. Everyone calls me a yankee down here. I find it to be insulting- Plus, I live in the South and that technically makes me a Southerner, even though I've only lived down here for about a month

Rubbish. I live in France but that doesn't make me French. Lets face it, you're just a yankee.

Spellbound Wrote:Rubbish. I live in France but that doesn't make me French. Lets face it, you're just a yankee.

If you live in France, you are French by nationality.

Don't sweat it, it's most likely not being meant as an insult. A little playful ribbing, maybe. Don't take it to heart.

Miles Wrote:Don't sweat it, it's most likely not being meant as an insult. A little playful ribbing, maybe. Don't take it to heart.

I take it to heart because I don't identify myself with the north. I identify myself with the south since I live here and I really, really love being here.

Arkansota Wrote:If you live in France, you are French by nationality.

i live in england. i'm not english.

dryw Wrote:I'm Scottish before I'm British and I live in Wales don't call me English ! Your in America your all yanks ?

Lol, no. People from the South are not yankees, they are Southerners.

Yankee = American who doesn't live in the South

Arkansota Wrote:I take it to heart because I don't identify myself with the north. I identify myself with the south since I live here and I really, really love being here.

C'mon, I was just winding you up. Don't you have a sense of humour - or even humor?

It's ridiculous to say that since I live in France I have French nationality, I don't, I'm English, I have a British passport etc etc.

No doubt you like living in the South, and I like living in France, but I don't expect the Froggies to think of me as French.

dryw said:
I'm Scottish before I'm British and I live in Wales don't call me English !

I certainly wouldn't call you English......

Arkansota Wrote:Obviously, I live in the South. Everyone calls me a yankee down here. I find it to be insulting- Plus, I live in the South and that technically makes me a Southerner, even though I've only lived down here for about a month

Start calling them rednecks...see how they like it....(joke)

but speaking seriously...if they don't sound as to be insulting you, then don't sweat about it...