Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I get people to stop calling me a yankee?
Youre not Southern unless you were born and raised here.

You can get "southernized", but that takes YEARS.

Usually, in the South........"yankees" is a bad term, "northerner" is a good term.
Anyone who says "yankee" doesnt appreciate the fact that you are there....unless its someone who knows you and is just picking on you for fun.

As for you guys on the other side of the "pond".....
I am aware that Brits call all Americans "yanks", but Southerners will be quick to correct you on that.
If you are from Texas, you definitely correct people and tell them you are Texan, not a "yank" and not an "American". Since a lot of Euro countries despise Americans, but not Texans. And especially if you are from Dallas, like me, that is totally acceptable.

But again, thats from what I have been told by people I have talked to who have been over there, which includes my French Teacher from High School.

dryw Wrote:I give up had to google what a southerner is like;

There are certain things that only Southerners know or appreciate about the South. Northerners can try to understand, but mostly, they don't even know WHAT they don't understand. Some of these "jokes" go around and around the internet and back and forth through email. I don't know WHO wrote this...but I do know that it just had to be a real, true Southerner:
I LOVE Being Southern...
Only a Southerner knows the difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit, and that you don't "HAVE" them, you "PITCH" them.
Only a Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc., make up "a mess."
Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."
Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is -- as in: "Going to town, be back directly."
Even Southern babies know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table.
All Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.
Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin!
Only Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and "a right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20.
Only a Southerner, both knows and understands, the difference between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and po' white trash.
No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.
A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.
Only Southerners make friends while standing in lines. We don't do "queues," we do "lines"; and when we're "in line," we talk to everybody!
Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.
Southerners never refer to one person as "ya'll."
Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.
Every Southerner knows tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.
When you hear someone say, "Well, I caught myself lookin'," you know you are in the presence of a genuine Southerner!
Only true Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it --- we do not like our tea unsweetened. "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.
And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say, "Bless her heart" and go your own way.
To those of you who're still a little embarrassed by your Southerness: Take two tent revivals and a dose of sausage gravy and call me in the morning. Bless your heart!
And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff, bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to have classes on Southernness as a second language!
And for those that are not from the South but have lived here for a long time, ya'll need a sign to hang on ya'lls front porch that reads "I aint from the South but I got here as fast as I could."
Bless your hearts, ya'll have a blessed day.
~Anonymous

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

You dun got THAT right sugarpie!!!

dryw Wrote:What are you if you don't mind me askin ?

japanese american

dryw Wrote:Thank you x when I travel Europe and US they think I'm Engurlish

You mean they don't recognise your accent?

I had to go to Fraserburgh once, a long time ago, and I swear I couldn't understand what they were saying, it may as well have been Arabic for all the sense it made. That and the fish-processing plant....

dryw Wrote:Thank you x when I travel Europe and US they think I'm Engurlish

Well, I suppose I would be more politely accepted by you guys from the British Isles.....Ive watched enough "Britcoms" to tell some of the dialects apart.

My sister married an Irishman, so Im used to that. I definitely know a Scot when I hear one, and then there's the different British dialects.

Does Wichita, Kansas count as the South? I spent a week there once, in pursuit of a girl I'd met in NYC. Nice place actually, very friendly people.

Spellbound Wrote:Does Wichita, Kansas count as the South? I spent a week there once, in pursuit of a girl I'd met in NYC. Nice place actually, very friendly people.

Kansas is in the Midwest

Arkansota Wrote:Kansas is in the Midwest

Oh, OK, just trying to identify.

Quote:How do I get people to stop calling me a yankee?

That's easy, Johnny. You just have to marry yourself a southern belle, get her pregnant, raise the kids to the point that they have their own kids, join the Sons of Confederate Veterans, become a Baptist and go to church picnics, get yourself a good bird dog, and you're golden!

Geminize Wrote:That's easy, Johnny. You just have to marry yourself a southern belle, get her pregnant, raise the kids to the point that they have their own kids, join the Sons of Confederate Veterans, become a Baptist and go to church picnics, get yourself a good bird dog, and you're golden!

Congratulations on 666 posts, by the way Sagrin

Geminize
Godlike

Single Bi Man
in or near Seattle (USA)