Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I get people to stop calling me a yankee?
The only way to let it stop bothering you is to accept it... When My mum was at middle school (the best school she went to (She went to 9different schools in her life)) she got called MOA. She hated this name. She got called this cos she was rather tall 5'11
Or as the kids said it was cos she was a big bird. She hated being called that u.u

This is a high comparison of different moa

[Image: 800px-dinornithidae_size_01.jpg]

Moral of the story is that once she didn't care about a name that people had given her she had the best time she ever had at school.
And she was sent up and down the country all her life so her childhood wasn't the nicest.

I admit I don't have this problem because I am an English guy who was born in and still lives in the south of England and I come from a (very) British family. Having said that my dad is from the north of England whilst my mum is from the south and in the UK there is a slight north/south divide in England as well as the distinction between Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. People from the south or north of England (or indeed the Welsh, Scots, or northern Irish) may mock the accents and habits of people from different UK regions but on the whole its not that bad. But it can be a little isolating if you're accent makes you stand out as I know from experience having lived up and down the UK.

But still its not usually a problem and you can get accepted quite easily if you move from one UK region to another (unless your neighbourhood is full of fuckwits like my last neighbourhood near Birmingham was). Having said that I was insulted by some prick at a bus station because (I am sure) I come from a different town. I mean how backward is that? insulted someone just because they're from a different city. He should be thankful I was bringing some custom to his shitty little city, if I didn't his crummy city would be in a worse state than it is.

So yeah over here we do have some tension between different regions and cultures. Especially in Northern Ireland where it can become (or still is) pretty violent but that's probably more to do with religion and whether someone is a republican or loyalist. It's not a conflict between regions just religion and politics.

But from what I am reading above it looks like the division between different states and especially The North and The South matters a whole lot more. We have some slight resentment that a lot of government investment goes towards London and south-east England at the expense of other parts of the country but damn it seems like its a much bigger issue over there.

Maybe you should remind them that whilst you respect their culture, shared sovereignty as a US state, etc. etc. the civil war did end over 140 years ago and perhaps they should just be more hospitable to visitors, settlers and guests who come to their state to live and do business? As long as the visitor and settler respects the local traditions and customs and tried to integrate I don't see why its a problem.

It sounds harsh and I kinda know how you feel having been abused by idiots just because I was passing through their neighbourhood. I know it isn't the same thing but still..

Oh I forgot, in some places in London, Glasgow, etc. you can get killed by thugs purely because you live in a different postcode or area to them even if its the same city..

I read the first post and it seemed innocent enough - just a question,, then I just read hate and negativity , I don't even want to be part of it - and that's from someone whos family is from glasgow

Tulloni Wrote:Maybe you should remind them that whilst you respect their culture, shared sovereignty as a US state, etc. etc. the civil war did end over 140 years ago and perhaps they should just be more hospitable to visitors, settlers and guests who come to their state to live and do business? As long as the visitor and settler respects the local traditions and customs and tried to integrate I don't see why its a problem.

That's generally the case. If it gets locals paid (as opposed to transferring people in while refusing to hire locals) and try to fit in then they will likely be accepted. I knew one very traditional Southerner from Georgia who even learned enough Japanese to politely greet Japanese executives who owned the place where he worked, and not to kiss up but to show hospitality. 'Course had those Japanese either disparaged the South or try to claim to BE Southerners (which would get them mocked at best) then things wouldn't have gone over so well.

As for the "Civil War ending," it's more complicated than that, though I don't have the patience to even try to sum it up right now.

Oh, and be sure to order BBHV when possible. I believe Blue Bell is only sold in the South. BBHV (Homemade Vanilla) is a very popular treat (President Bush even had it shipped to him while in other countries) and listed on some Southern menus as BBHV. Even if it doesn't work to get you more accepted at least you got to enjoy some very good (if very expensive) ice cream!

@OP: You stop giving fucks.